Confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

So two weeks ago I was admitted to hospital with gallstone issues affecting my pancreas and liver, I had an xray, ultrasound, mrcp and ercp carried out, I ended up staying five days after the last ercp procedure because billirubin levels were 85, when I was discharged I had another MRI a few days later due to the billirubin levels not going back to normal quick enough, I have a consultation with the consultant on 19th and pre assessment for op 28th and gallbladder surgery 4th april, but I have received a letter today for another ultrasound, what's confusing me is that I always thought an MRI showed more then an ultrasound so what would be the reason for an ultrasound after the MRI? Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Danielle

hi I’m sure they are simply just taking good care of you of which I could only wish for the same attention of detail being paid to my situation, consider yourself very lucky !!

ultrasound shows different things to mri etc their just covering all possibilities and you are receiving excellent care from I can make of it.

relax sounds like yr in good hands and they have you covered!!

i wish this was my case as do many.

good luck with your upcoming surgery, keep me posted on your progress please.

regards.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your treatment, literally the day I went to go private i ended up in a&e in incredible pain which literally disappeared as quick as I came, had blood tests and xray a&e doctor said he didn't understand why I wasn't the colour of a banana with the high levels of billirubin in the blood, was literally the corners of my eyes and a tinge to my skin that looked like I had a bad fake tan, the jaundice still has gone since the ercp which is the call for the second MRI wednesday gone, I really hope you get sorted, I literally left the pains for two years first thinking it was wind then heart burn etc but since Xmas was continuous didn't matter what I ate it caused extreme pains, I really do wish you the best I will keep u updated please keep me updated on your progress xx

• Posted

Each imaging works differently.  I'd just call my doctor and ask why you received this letter--or call the scheduling folks and ask why.  It might be a hoop that they forgot to jump through.  Usually, an ultrasound is the first test they schedule.  xx

• Posted

I called imaging department and asked whether this was the original ultrasound that the go had ordered the woman said it was one ordered by the consultant, I had ultrasound the day I went to a&e and it all kicked the treatment off which is why I thought it was strange as had MRI literally wednesday just gone and received this letter dated the 15th today for scan on 22nd I would have thought MRI went into more detail then an ultrasoundxx

• Posted

Hun

dont worry 

you have a good consultant who is not wanting to go in blind that’s all , he wants to cover ever possibility yr in good hands relax.

ive had mine out privately 6 months ago to the day but I still have problems since and n h s not interested in helping me that’s all hun.

i could of only wished I had yr consultant x

• Posted

An MRI does show more details.  Sounds as if the consultant wants another ultrasound.  That's not unusual, because the image provided by an ultrasound depends on lots of factors, including the machine and the ability of the technician. The consultant should have let you know--you're not an unknowing animal going down a chute, after all--though I find that doctors tend to treat patients as if they are, unfortunately. xx  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.