Confused

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to CAB on Friday and they filled in my PIP form for me which I signed.

They also sent a lot of evidence that I produced which the girl said was very good.

We spent 2 hours doing the form but at the end of the day it seemed to boil down to one question which was at the end and was based on how far I could walk.

The girl from CAB said in  order to get enhanced rate I had to score 12 points which meant I could only walk 20 metres without stopping. I can actually walk 20 - 50 metres most of the time.

What is the point of spending 2 hours filling out the form if the decision only really rests on the last question?

Do they not take anything else you have said into account?

The girl also said that if I appealed and had to go to tribunal the CAB could not put me in touch with a local Welfare Rights Officer who could represent me.

I had to go to tribunal many years ago when I lived in Co Durham and they took my DLA away from me. CAB put me in touch with a Welfare Rights Officer who represented me and I got DLA back.

Why is that different now?

Sarah

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah obviously the lady from CAB can only guide you and although she stated the correct assesment criteria regarding walking distance you could still apply for PIP as their is also the care component within the benefit, you haven't given us much information regarding your claim but if it's sent now their is only one thing to do but wait And see what they decide

• Posted

Thanks for your help.

As I live on my own I think the girl and I decided I would not score anything on the care component.

At the moment I am on DLA on higher rate of £232 a month and the girl thought I wuld now get about £88 a month, quite a difference.

The girl from CAB posted the form herself so as you say there is nothing I can do now.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah do you mind me asking what health issues you have that way it gives a clearer picture on what's available for you and what you maybe entitled too, if you don't want to then that's fine I will understand

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

PIP has 10 Daily living descriptors too as well as 2 mobility ones. I'm not really sure i fully understand your question here, as you've only mentioned the mobility part. They will asses you for all of the descriptors and not just this one.

As you have said that you can walk 20-50 metres most of the time than this will only score you 10 points in the mobility moving around part and even that's not guaranteed, the same as all the other descriptors. Enhanced mobility is no more than 20 metres, regular, reliably, without pain and discomfort.

Are you transfering from DLA? or is this a PIP review?

You say you had to take a previous DLA award to Tribunal with the help of someone from Welfare rights but a lot of things have changed since then. Disability advice centres like this just don't have the funding anymore like they did years ago. CAB very rarely support anyone for their Tribunal hearing but they will help you prepare for it with the SSCS1 forms etc. They just don't have the funding either.

As you're talking about Tribunal have you been refused PIP? Sorry, if you could be a little more specific with your question then maybe we can help you further.

• Posted

The girl from CAB only started talking about actual points as we got to the mobility part.

That is what confused me.

From what you have said I now understand that I will be scored points for others things I have said I cannot do. Is that right?

I am coming from DLA at higher rate £232 a month.

Girl thought I would now be getting about £88 a month.

I have not been refused PIP we only filled the form in on Friday last week.

Someone from Age Cymru did say to me a long time ago that if I am refused PIP there is another benefit I can apply for and she thought I would be better off on that one anyway. Can't remember what ti is called though.

To be honest if I got a PIP award of roughly £88 I think I would stick with that instead of risking them looking at it again and then ending up with nothing.

Hope I have managed to explain things a bit better.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

• Posted

Living alone has nothing to do with scoring points on the PIP descriptors. The person at CAB clearly had no idea what on earth she was talking about. It's possible to score points in any of the descriptors if they apply to you, regardless of the help you receive or not. If you can't do something regular, reliably, without pain and discomfort then you're classed as not being able to do them. Evidence is an absolute must to support a claim though.

You say you claim the higher rate of DLA right now, i'm guessing that's the mobility part? Because you don't say which part you claim, there's 2 part to DLA as well as PIP. Youhave to forget about DLA because they're completely different benefits with totally different criteria.

The only other benefit other the PIP is Attendance Allowance and for this you have to be over 65 and there's no mobility part to this. It's also completely different to PIP with the criteria.

It seems like to me that you haven't been very well advised about this PIP claim and what it's all about.

The most important question is, did you send evidence to support your claim when the forms were sent?

• Posted

I am not surprised that you were confused, what did they expect you to do, crawl on your hands and Knees to get to the centre.  I should ask for a home visit, it all stinks.frown

• Posted

I would like to clarify with you Denise, was it not the old DLA form that specified 'able to walk no more than 20 meters without pain and discomfort.   I am sure this is not a factor now, only that you can walk. 

My husband has been to tribunal, was adjourned but to PIP not having a copy of his original DLA application form, and for PIP to request medical records from GP and Hospital back to Jan 2016. My husband can  walk but he cannot walk, move, etc without constant pain and discomfort.  He was awarded Higher level Mobility and low level care in 2004 after a 45 minute full medical assessment by a GP of their choice.    After his 15 minute PIP assessment with a paramedic he was awarded 0 points for either care or mobility.  He is deteriorated over the years and has been diagnosed with other  conditions.

If how your injury/disability/illness/condition affects you in everyday life, not what it is,  then pain and discomfort is the main part of the effect, along with the knock on effect of having these conditions long term.

Sorry to encroach on Sarah's question but i wanted to pick up on the pain and discomfort issue.

• Posted

Hi,

No, definitely not. DLA was and always was up to 50 metres for High rate mobility. Pain and discomfort wasn't a criteria for DLA. You're getting totally confused. This is because you're thinking and comparing DLA to what PIP is. DLA no longer exists for those over the age of 16. You must forget about DLA and concentrate on PIP.

PIP is about doing something regular, reliably, without pain and discomfort. It's about not being able to do something 50% of the time. If a person can't do something 50% of the time without pain and discomfort then they're classed as not being able to do something at all. PIP Enhanced mobility is not being able to stand then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres BUT what you have to consider is if you walked 20 metres in the morning, would you be able to do this again later in the day? Would it cause you pain and discomfort? If so and you couldn't do this again because of that reason then you're classed as not being able to do it.

Another descriptor for moving around that would score a person 12 points is not being able to stand or move more than 1 metre, aided or unaided.

Do you mean the Tribunal need to request medical evidence and not DWP? It's nothing to do with DWP at this stage, it's the Tribunal that would request this.

Proving it is the answer. Good luck.

• Posted

Yes loads of good evidence.

I think the only reason I was still thinking in DLA terms is that I am still trying to work out if I will be worse off financially. In order to do this I have to remember what amount of money DLA was. Yes OK forget DLA and start all over again.

• Posted

WE went to  tribunal, in February it was adjoined after 10 minutes because the Judge said there was not much medical evidence. 

The Judge had not received a copy of the original form we filled in in 2004 for DLA. (WE requested this be used as part of medical evidence  (Which resulted in my husband being awarded high rate mobility, low level care in 2005).  The Judge asked the lady present who was representing PIP if she had a copy of original application of DLA with her which she didn't.  DLA applications were archived and not sent to PIP.  This information has now been sent to Tribunal from DLA and a copy to ourselves the Court also requested records from GP and hospitals since Jan 2016, even though our GP had written a number of letters with medical information, new conditions etc,  he stated to contact him for further information if required (as we know PIP do not make contact, but the Court has.)  £26 x 3 letters that basically were not worth the paper written on.  Podiatrist letter, sent, dates of all Physio appointments, steroid injunctions appointments medications, PTSD treatments etc, etc.  Proof of medical conditions accepted by MOD due to medical discharge from Military Service in 1992 and ALL medical problems since and deterioration in health, diagnosis of further conditions in recent years.  All information sent.

I keep copies of everything and am organised. I have to be.  My hubby would not cope and would have thrown all paperwork in the bin long ago.  His health,  like a lot of people, suffer from the added stress of this system. 

We await another Court date, supposed to be as soon as an available date  comes up now all information received.

I could go on, but I would get upset so I won't.

• Posted

I know you're angry and you have every right to be. However, PIP and DLA are totally different. They have different criteria. A high rate mobility award for DLA doesn't mean an Enhanced Rate mobility for PIP.

The future appointment letters aren't classed as evidence, unfortunately. They never have been. The reason they aren't classed as evidence is because they have no information on them regarding the claimants condition. Evidence that's older than 2 years isn't usually accepted unless it's a condition that can't be treated and it's backed up with recent evidence. Maybe that's why the Tribunal are requesting evidence from 2016.

Believe it or not there are people out there that have decisions in their favour without going through MR or Tribunal, we just don't hear about them.

Hopefully you're not waiting too much longer. Good luck.

• Posted

I was referring to physio, hydrotherapy, Combat Stress appointments etc, he had attended, i did not state future appointments, I realize future ones are not part of evidence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.