Posted , 6 users are following.


I’ve had two colonoscopies, one surgeon said I have Diverticular Disease , then another who says I don’t. 

Who do I go with?!?! I’m quite poorly 

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

  • Posted

    That seems very odd. I am wondering if the second surgeon just means that there is no evidence of current inflammation. Diverticular pockets cannot disappear by themselves, so I would be inclined to see your own gp to discuss the results further. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Chantal

    I am in the same position and through some investingation I have found out some doctors do not class you as having diverticulitis unless you have infection. All people with pouches/sacs have diverticular disease but some doctors call it diverticulosis if you only get inflamation. It is very frustrating because I have pain and feel like crap and have to do all the things someone with diverticulitis does but one surgeon refuses to say I have diverticulitis and the other insists I have it. Either way I have diverticular disease so I don't see why it matters what they call it. I still get antibiotics sometimes. Treat your colon as if you have diverticulitis and you should slowly start to feel better. If you spike a fever go to the doctor and get antibiotics.

    I hope this helps you.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I’m guessing the second didn’t see it inflamed . I can’t just shrug it off and say the first was wrong so I’m gonna treat it anyway. 

    I’m quite poorly all the time, I’ve been tested for everything and I have high calprotectin levels. X

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I'm sure you've been told that high calprotectin levels mean you have some form of bowel condition.  If you have been seeing a surgeon I'm guessing you are in the USA.  You may need to consider seeing a gastrointestinal specialist to find out exactly what condition in addition to Diverticular Disease (which is the presence of diverticula).  If you have taken antibiotics and followed the recommended diet but are still getting daily problems, you need further investigation.  Many people have IBS or IBD along with DD.  Hope you find answers.  I am UK based and our investigative system is worked through our GP with referrals to hospital, so I can't suggest further.  Best wishes.

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up