Confused

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, my surgion said my new knee is loose I need a revision after I told him about the problems I'm having...I had TKR in june 2018 . Yet on my x-ray notes the radiologist has written my x-ray shows no sign of loosening or fracture.....

The surgion said he knew by my " story" and physical examination...I thought he was very quick to suggest a revision. Does anyone know of other tests that could be done before going through this again...example ...bone scan, or MRI scan...or some other way to find out for sure...thank you in advance...I would appreciate any help.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

my surgeon did a revision and my xrays were normal and he went mostly by my symptoms . I did have a bonescan but didnt show much .They did the revision and it showed it was completely lose the cement had debonded

• Posted

Hi corri that sounds like my story.....I wonder why the radiologist said it didn't look loose? was your revision successful? I was told Id have a 60% chance of improvement. They say a revision is a harder operation, what did you think. You can tell me honestly.

• Posted

I have suffered for more then a year with this knee putting weight on it became unbearable so he did the revision and it was loose and had a lot of synovitis ,it's been almost 5 months but I'm still having pain and swelling different pain then before the revision I didnt really feel I had a choice then to go ahead with the revision it is not as painful as it was before

• Posted

Hi Corri - sorry to hear of your problems. I had TKR November before last and had pain and poor movement for a long time but my team thought I was just being a wimp with a low pain threshold....it wasn't until I had an MRI with a NM contrast that my knee flagged up big time as there was a large uptake of the contrast around the area......they sent images to my consultant (at another hospital) and the cement had leaked after original op and 7 months later had the revision last July. Luckily the cement was cleared out successfully and a new knee cap was put it....using the old scar and gluing it all back together....out in a day and after the initial soreness it is like I've never had anything done to my knee...brilliant....so don't give up. I think surgeons know from your description what the trouble is....mine was mainly pain and not a very good ROM but not surprising as it was all stuck....so wished they had listened to me earlier but hey ho...all good now!

I wish you good luck...let us know how you get on.....xxx

• Posted

Where are you located? I'm in the U.S. in Texas, and I saw a dr who specializes in revisions. I first saw him at about 4 mos. post when things weren't going as I had been told they would by the original surgeon. Still couldn't walk without a crutch and couldn't straighten my knee actively. He (the new doc) felt - from physical exam - that my knee components might be loose, but he took a wait and see approach and saw me again at six mos. post. At the six month post visit, he said his first obligation was to do no harm. And I was considerably better also. I still don't think the knee is exactly right (now at about 8 mos. post), but he told me I was doing okay and could lose range of motion and bone, and he didn't see the need for a revision at that point. I appreciated his non- rush to repeat, but I know I will go to him if I need further knee work in the future.

In my opinion: Try to find someone who specializes in knee replacement revisions, and don't allow anyone to get you to rush into another knowingly painful surgery and recovery. Get yet another opinion, and do your doctor research - reviews, etc. Make your decision when you feel good about the doctor and at peace with what you decide - either way.

• Posted

Hi Alimarie, that sounds more like what I was expecting to hear...I live in Waterford Ireland....I am going to our capital city Dublin for 2nd opinion on May 1st...so how is your knee now is it improving? When did you have your operation.?

• Posted

Rosemary - I'm so glad you're going for another opinion! I'm 8 mos. post. (surgery was July of 2018) Doing okay. Not incredible, but I'm still working on strengthening, and I'm not in pain.

Let me know what you find out!

• Posted

i had a TKR 9/2017.

My surgeon recommended a JAS brace 10/18 which i used as prescribed for 18 days. i was left w very much swelling and substantially less flexibility and pain- an inflammatory response.

Subsequent new surgeon suggested i may have a loosening of prosthetic , and took xray and said prosthetic shows in place- no loosening . i was given Prednisone for 2 weeks, followed by CELEBREX for 2 months and told do not walk unnecessarily.

I was told sometimes bone loosening does not show up on xray immediately. Bone scan is indicated after 2 months to see if there is loosening.

i am still much difficulty.

good luck to you.

• Posted

Did your new surgion suggest a revision...what is prednisone and celebrex are they pain killers? Did you have a bone scan then...I was given a knee brace too...so you still in difficulty as I am....is there anything can be done for us? This stiffness and swelling and pain is as bad or worse than before TKR

• Posted

he did not do a bone scan

i an now going fo pt for arthritis of hip and will be starting twice a week next week. Pt is hoping to increase flexibilty of knee.

followup w surgeon is in sept

• Posted

Ask your surgeon if he can do some more tests. Query the x Ray. Good luck

• Posted

Ask your surgeon if he can do some more tests. Query the x Ray. Good luck

• Posted

It's also IMPORTANT TO KNOW the brand and model #of your knee. Some companies gave been known to be inferior and some of the adhesives have been faulty. Best to know if any prosthesis have been recalled or have had problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.