Confused about blood results

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had low b12 in July 2015, after 3 months of treatment (1 a week for 4 weeks then 1 a month for 2 months) my levels rose to 624. (September) now I feel terrible again, but my b12 bloods came back at 276 which is "normal" everything else came back fine as well. Is the a huge drop in 4 months?? Or is this quite normal and there is anothe reason for my fatigue? Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you getting an injection every 3 months now or none at all? 276 is still low.  Normally after getting your initial dose you need an injection at least every 3 months for life.  If you go on the pernicious anaemia society site you will get a lot of info and advice.

good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, no as my levels were "normal" after treatment I was not given any more. And I'll check it out, thank you!
  • Posted

You are normally kept on injections for life once you are found to be low. The only reason for not continuing injections is if you are vegetarian or vegan, and that is why you don't get it from your food. Then tablets will usually work.

Do you have any digestive issues, Crohn's disease or Coeliac, IBS etc... that could explain an absorption problem? Did your GP do any testing to identify Pernicious Anaemia?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, and no I don't, they did test for pernicious anaemia but it came back negative, but from what I've read the test isn't always 100% and you sometimes have to wait and see how your body reacts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.