Confused about diet after myotomy, feeling pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm a 30 year old male who just had the laproscopic Heller myotomy with Toupet fundoplication. The surgeon said the surgery went well, and after 2 nights in the hospital I was discharged. I'm confused about diet because the surgeon and hospital staff said that I could resume a normal diet as soon as I got home. A nurse even said, "if you want a cheeseburger, just go for it". Literally every other resource online, including patient instructions on hospital webpages, says differently. I put myself on a liquid diet for the first 3 days after surgery. On the 4th day, I ate macaroni and cheese and was ok. Yesterday (5th day) I cooked fish and yams, and had a lot of stomach pain despite eating very slowly and chewing incredibly well. There's no way I can imagine myself eating a cheeseburger now just 6 days after surgery. Has anyone else on here been recommended an accelerated diet plan? What are your experiences with it? Have any of you disobeyed the discharge instructions and felt pain after eatign certain foods?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just wanted to quickly point out that I may not respond to everyone, but I'm reading all the comments and taking the advice to heart.
  • Posted

My diet was graduated from liquids to normal food over 6 weeks.  I followed most doctors orders but a couple times got impatient and ate something that caused me enough pain that I'd wished I'd eaten mac and cheese.  You've just had major surgery.  You can cause yourself injury that you don't want.  I have no idea why your doctor would tell you you could have cheese burgers so soon... that has to be an error.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.