Confused about HRT

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I'm so confused about all of this "to take or not to take HRT".On one hand I hear that when we are in menopause and our estrogen levels become depleted it puts us at a higher risk of heart issues and breast cancer.On the other hand I hear that taking HRT can put us at a higher risk of heart issues and breast cancer. So...what does one do?

I'm 55 and 8 months ago had hysterectomy removing uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes. Ovaries were in good shape and were left in on the premise that they would still continue to produce estrogen putting me into a slow menopause instead of immediate surgical menopause. I still feel the hormone changes I did before my surgery but can't tell exactly where in my cycle I am or how much my hormone levels have declined.

I have symptoms of occasional nighttime hot flashes...not much during day. Guess I'm lucky...my GYN Dr says 10% of women don't have a lot of hot flashes. What I do have is terrible gastrointestinal issues, especially acid reflux. Also just plain tired and no energy and anxiety/worry issues are pretty bad. Lots of other minor issues that go along with this but the above mentioned three are the worst.

My question is...should I or shouldn't I pursue HRT therapy? I have high blood pressure and hypothyroidism which are being treated.

I'd appreciate any feedback from you wonderful ladies!

Thanks??

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I thought HRT was great. I felt so much better, I could sleep and therfore cope with the other things. However, it is a proven fact that it has a small risk of the person taking it develpoing breast cancer, particularly if it is in your family, so I would have been more reluctant to take it. However, my symptoms were so severe, I found it a lifesaver. Not all HRT means your periods return. I had none when I was taking the one I was on. Only you can decide
  • Posted

First of all - a bit of a rant. I notice some ladies here have mentioned brand names of supermarket supplements and other drugs - and got away with it! On another thread a lady asked where I got my sage leaf supplement and got moderated for it. Why is it OK to mention the 'Big' names but not the ones that are not so well financed?

• Posted

Right rant over - I tried HRT when the 'natural' supplements didn't work. It was great, then I started bleeding again, so as I have cysts,fibroids and had endometriosis, I thought I might be pushing my luck.

I tried again with the 'natural' supplements - this time with better quality ones. They work!

I think you are right about your diet. No sugar, less carbs and more good fat, that's a good start. Try and avoid meds for the acid reflux - they are not good. If you get your diet right that will all sort itself out.

• Posted

Thanks bobbysgirl,

I want to avoid meds as much as possible. There are just too many side effects. I was on a proton pump inhibitor for 3 months because endoscopy showed chronic gastritis. Didn't want to take for more than 3 months. Now take ranitidine 150mg and am slowly weaning off that. I use slippery elm capsules and for the most part keep on a limited diet....no salt, no spices, no refined carbs or sugars. Mostly protein and veggies. Pretty boring but it's working and I'll take boring over stomach distress anyday! I'm at the point now where once in a while I can treat myself to something on the "caution" list.

What natural supplements are working for you?

• Posted

Please don't give up on salt and spices! Contrary to the witterings from the medical establishment, we NEED salt. I use pink Himalayan salt. Most conventional salt is cut with other stuff so that it flows - nasty! It is very important that we get our sodium/potassium balance right.

As for spices, I don't like 'spicy' food, but spices such as Turmeric, ginger and cloves have SO many health benefits. Again you won't hear of anything in the mainstream because there is no money in it.

I take Vit's D, K2, C (Rosehip), B3 (Niacin), and B6 with magnesium. I also take CQ10, Cats Claw (for my joints) and I've just started taking L-Lysine, an amino acid that helps boost immunity, muscle strength, calcium absorbtion and collagen formation. Jury's out on that one yet.

I used to suffer from acid stomach, but since I cut out sugar, processed foods and cut back on simple carbs, I don't get it anymore. BTW a lot of treatments for gastric problems contain some very nasty things - like aluminium.You really don't want that in your system.

• Posted

Thanks for the info!

I understand what you mean about the aluminum. Doctor prescribed carafate for me. I took one dose and it made me so nauseated so I stopped it. Then I discovered it is high dose aluminum and there is a link to long term aluminum use and Alzheimer's. So tossed that in trash really quick!

I have also heard of the benefits of tumeric, ginger, clove and also cinnamon. Am slowly adding those to my diet.

Will look into some of the supplements you mention ....thanks for the info!

• Posted

Cloves bring on hot flushes, so I would keep away from them. They are considered a "hot" spice. Peppery type of spice. I was told not to consume it because it is considered a hot spice.

• Posted

Hi Sochima,

Thank you for that info. I didn't know that about cloves. I'm not fond of their flavour anyway so won't be consuming them. I do like cinnamon and haven't had problems with that or ginger. I find ginger tea to be soothing to my stomach even though it has a bit of a peppery nature.

• Posted

Ginger, in all it's forms is very calming, I use it all the time. A few drops of ginger - and frankincense oils in a carrier oil makes a soothing massage oil for aching muscles and joints. As with everything, just make sure it is a good quality one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.