confused about lyme test

Posted , 4 users are following.

My health problem is mostly with digestive issues and acid reflux which started back in 2009 - no joint pain or swelling (would I def. have that with lyme?) I just want to rule out lyme and stop worrying about it but my Elisa test was positive but the western blot and c6 was negative - so confused. I never had fatigue or joint pain - is it safe to say all my chest pains and eating problems aren't related to lyme even though I had a pos Elisa?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The problem with Lyme is that nothing is certain or definite. One of the reasons why it's hard to diagnose is that symptoms can be all over the place. Which is why it's usually confused with other diseases and conditions like Chronic Fatigue, MS, or rheumatoid arthritis or even lupus. 

My initial symptoms were gastric related. So the first few months months, while I was being tested for a bunch of different things, I thought everything has to do with my stomach and digestive system and every other symptom was a side effect of the medication I was taking. 

The gastric issues were acid reflux, gastritis, passion on both my left and right sides, diarrhea and constipation. My other symptoms were fatigue, brain fog, joint pain, tingling and vibrations, neck stiffness and pain, headaches, dizziness and a bunch of others that I can't think if right now. A lot of these symptoms came and went. My initial Lyme test also came back negative. In order to get the proper diagnosis and treatment I had to find an LLMD, Lyme literate doctor.  Some LLMDs will clinically diagnose Lyme and only use the test results to confirm it. Lyme tests are notorious for false negatives. 

My suggestion would be to find a Lyme literate doctor, not an infectious disease doctor, to check you out properly. You can contact ILADS and they will send you a list of doctors in your area. Good luck and how you find some answers.

• Posted

But why should we trust a LLMD because he could be diagnosing lyme when you really don't have it. I mean just taking someone's word for it when it could be other things is a bit odd to me. The best thing i think anyone could do with the potential for lyme is to do several weeks of anti-biotics, and if massive improvements then you would know you had an infection. There are many people believing they have lyme when they don't in my view. There has been a recent case of two perfectly healthy journalists who sent their private test to Igenex and they both tested positive for lyme, they have no symptoms whatso ever. I find the lyme arena extremely suspiticos and there is LOTS of money to be made from it and LOTS of fear mongering about it.
    • Posted

I agree, I believe I have to trust my doctors and let this go.
  • Posted

Did your doctor give you doxycycline given the fact that you had + ELISA?

the symptoms of lyme are so weird and diverse I wouldn't rule it out as the cause of your problems. 

• Posted

No she did not. Just said that they did a follow up with the western blot and that was neg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.