Confused about my diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 45 and have been suffering with this condition since the age of 7, it appeared one summer and kept coming back every summer each time worse than the year before, only thing is that although my dermatologist has said it looks identical to pityriasis rosea the fact that it comes in the summer rather than winter and isn't confined to my torso, more on my hands feet legs chest neck and top of my head has stumped her, does any one else get it in these places and in the summer rather than the typical winter? Also mine doesn't so much itch but feels like I'm being burnt with a lit cigarette.imageimageimage

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

SHARON I HAVE HAD THIS FOR 1 year i got it during the SUMMER i did have a BIOPSY done and it came back as GRANULOMA ANNULARE

Report Reply
  • Posted

OMG!!!!!!!!! Has anyone done a biopsy on you????? It has been years, don't you think you deserve a diagnosis????????????????????????? I HATE!!!!!!! doctors who are "stumped" when they have not done the right tests. A simple scrape (not even blood or core) biopsy will do the trick. My bet is on lichen planus, but I am not a doctor nor an expert. Look up LichensEze, it is fabulous. It kills itches, and it will take care of lichen planus rash. I would get a biopsy first before running off after what else it could be. I bet you have spent thousands over the years trying everything. Is this doctor even a dermatologist????

If you get a biopsy done, tell whoever is doing it that you are looking for a specific diagnosis. If they come back with "eczema" tell them they are fired. Eczema is a catch all phrase that includes a multitude of rashes that the doctor down't think is very dangerous, but can't be bothered to diagnose properly. Lumped in are things like contact dermatitis- a fancy name for hives, a low grade allergic reaction that can last for years. Lichen planus, which is viral, probably; scabies, which is a parasite, and ringworm, which is fungal. They aren't even in the same ocean, much less swimming pool.

Sorry, my rant. I am so darn angry at doctors who do not do their jobs and charge us money!!! I was treated for ringworm for 9 months before being sent to a dermatologist who was kind enough to do a biopsy, and had me diagnosed properly within a week.

Please keep us informed!!! POOR BABY!!!!!!!!!

Report Reply
    • Posted

Every time I've been to the doctors I've been told different things, sun allergy.... polymorphic light eruption.. ... prickly heat 😂, always told it's pointless going to see a dermatologist because by the time the appointment comes the rash will be gone so there'll be nothing for them to look at, hence why I took photos and demanded to see one, but I still have to now wait until it comes out in the summer or just as the seasons change so they can see it and maybe do a biopsy.

Report Reply
    • Posted

So you don't have the rash right now, good. Please don't give up. You do not deserve to go through this again and again. My dermatologist appointment cost 60.00. The scrape biopsy cost 40.00, and the biopsy reading cost 100.00. I don't have insurance, I paid cash- it is almost always cheaper when you pay cash. Call around to dermatologists, talk to the office manager- the person who does their money stuff. Explain what you need done, and ask how much it would cost. I say this, because that way you may not have to wait as long to get an appointment.

I had PR for over a year. Yes, very unusual, but it does happen. The biopsy confirmed it. I was told there was no medicine that would help, and to just deal with it. I read a lot, especially here, on this forum, and tried everything anyone recommended. I finally found Prreze. That wiped mine out within a week. I am paranoid. I keep a jar of Prreze handy at all times. It works great on the itch of bugbites, and, being female, and living in south Texas (very hot) I get that nasty woman thing under my breasts every once in a while- red angry rash looking, itches and burns. Prreze takes care of that fast. Anyway, I would get some of that and keep it handy in case that rash of yours pops up unexpectedly, I bet it would take the burn and sting out of it!

Please let us know what you find out and what the doctors do/say. Many of the people on this forum are really nice and caring.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I'm in the UK so luckily don't have to pay for any hospital stuff just super long waiting lists, and no I don't have the rash now we are fast approaching winter here, the pics are from summer just gone, I've tried all the antihistamine meds, got 180mg one off my doctor which didn't help at all, only thing that works is a strong course of steroid tablets. I'm kind of getting used to having it every year now just don't like the fact it comes back worse each time. And the fact that they are saying there's no reason or cure for it, just my luck lol

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up