confused about new pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am almost 11 weeks post hysterectomy and I have new pain in my stomach. My incision is still a bit numb and tingly, that isn't the problem. The issue is what feels like period cramps accompanied by occasional shooting pains inside. I am also having pain on urinating and with bowel movements again. This stopped ages ago. Why has it come back? I am back to doing all activities except work. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

In case it is of any help, I am 12 weeks post abdominal Tah and bso and in the last week have started getting some abdominal cramp/ muscle type, period like pain again. Its not severe just annoying, and I feel it quite often when I'm sitting, moving in bed or simply moving about. I think it may simply be that I am doing more physically now, nothing at all heavy but light gardening etc, and that my muscles are feeling it. Up to now I have walked a lot but not much else.

I did have a lot of abdominal especially bowel pain for the first 7 weeks or so but it eventually stopped. This is different from thatand does seem to be aggregavated by being in certain positions.For the time being Im going to leave it and hope its just part of healing.

All the best with your recovery.

• Posted

If you kept your ovaries you will still experience PMS, I'm 4 weeks post op and had the same issues. I spoke to my doctor on Monday and read a few things online and if you did keep them the PMS bloating cramping and back pain ( in my case) was worse at 4 weeks. Just what I've experienced personally. I'm having my fallopian tubes and ovaries removed in 2 weeks, so I'm hoping to have some relief, but will experience surgical menopause at 44yrs old. So I'm not sure which will be easier. I was explained post op that when you have your uterus removed that your bowels will take up some of that space causing the bowel pain. I hope you feel better sooon! Erin
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 10 weeks now and still don't have a completely pain free day...like you I'm pretty much doing everything....my bowels are still all over the place and I'm still having to take stool softeners.....I have had a similar pain, I kept my ovaries and put it down to ovulation pain.....I'm back at work in 2 weeks, getting very nervous no about it!!! 
  • Posted

Hi I am 11 weeks post op tomorrow and like you have been experiencing the same problem. It is hard to explain but when I stand up it feels like things want to fall out, thats the only way I can explain it lol 

I am also the same with pains when wanting to wee!

I have hospital appointment on Wednesday so will be asking questions then, this is my first appointment since my op although I did go to see my doctor at 6 weeks just for peace of mind really, and she said all looked fine!

I really thought I would start to have pain free days by now sad 

• Posted

Hi there lovely i am 12 wks post op tah today i kept both ovaries and i still have pain and numbness and tingling. I do think it is your body's way of saying slow down or just hang on a minute. If your worried go to your gp and just get it checked out hun. I feel your pain. I have started my 2nd month of antidepressants 😩. I am back in work end may just doing mornings though. Xxx
  • Posted

I am so glad I read this as feeling same way. Lost count of how many weeks post op, may be 11! Still get back pain if doing more, getting stabbing pains at ends of scar from TAH . Get exhausted some days, felt really low last week and felt like staying in bed, although I didn't! Having spells of dizzy ness , one day I got up and felt like everything was aching. Having bloods done tomorrow, but feel going back to work still a way off. I still get internal shooting type pains, I think it is just healing process that's still going on. Also bowels still not great , now trying movicol ?? Seems to be worse now! Seems ages ago I had the op and I feel like everyone else has forgotten that I had it done! Still seems long road ahead til recovered. Worried I'm putting on weight but some days I eat something to try to get some energy. It really is a big op and the effects underestimated by others. 
  • Posted

Hello everyone. Thanks for your replies. Saw the doc today. It's not a urine infection and he said that if it was a bowel infection I would be seriously ill, hot, sweaty etc. He concluded that it is adhesions. This means that the scar tissue that is forming is attaching to other stuff so it hurts when I move. Apparently it is very common and unless it is a massive adhesion they won't do anything as it would just create more scar tissue and so more of the same. I have to do stretching exercises to 'split' the scar tissue from whatever it has attached to, which is probably the bowel and/or bladder. Ow. I can't go back to work yet and have another 6 week sick note. That will take me to 18 weeks off work. I told them 9 initially. I think they will have issues with this. I already have a phone interview with Occ Health scheduled for Saturday. I had no idea that this operation was going to take such a long recovery. I seem to be taking much longer than most.
  • Posted

Thanks for posting that update - really helpful to know.

I hope you get on OK with occupational health.

Would you mind saying a bit more about the stretching exercises please and what they consist of? Have you been referred to physio for them or has the doc told you what to do? I'm thinking they may be relevant to me too.

Thanks

• Posted

Hello Julie

I haven't been referred to physio. The doc gave me some exercises to do. They are mainly leg lifts. Point toes straight up, lift, hold, lower slowly. Repeat with other leg. Point toes off to the side, lift, hold, lower. As many reps as comfortable. He also said we should be doing the pelvic floor exercises for life to make sure everything stays where it should and that I should be as active as possible. I asked if there is anything I absolutely shouldn't do now and he said no. I'm going to take him at his word and attempt to emulsion the living room next week. I can't think of a better way to stretch. If it hurts, I'll stop.

• Posted

If it hurts too much I'll stop. If it is anything like mowing the lawn, I imagine it will take me a week to do one wall. I still get very tired very quickly and very swelly if I'm on my feet for more than a couple of hours
  • Posted

Thanks Christelle

I am trying the exercises too!

Some days are better and some worse as far as pain goes, with no particular reasons that I can see but I think that's the deal with this particular surgery! Good luck with emulsioning- my more feeble equivalent today has been putting some pictures up!

Julie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.