Confused about pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone may be able to help me. I was diagnosed with Crohn's 7 weeks ago and have been on Prednisolone ever since and I've recently started Azathioprine.

I was in horrific pain for weeks before my diagnosis but the steroids have really helped to reduce this. My crp was over 130 in September when I was at my worst but now it's come right down to 4, I have reduced my steroids to 15mg from 30mg - so the inflammation has really gone down but I still have pains every day. Any idea why this is? I'm worried I may have a structure as I often get pain after eating and suffer quite badly with constipation which is the opposite to most people. I'm waiting for MRI results to come back, but wandered if anyone else had had a similar experience and if anyone else had pains everyday? I don't know if these will ever go? I feel like I am still having a flare up - but not sure at what point you become 'in remission'.

Any advise at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Fran

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fran,

i think we have spoken before.

I have also recently been diagnosed with crohns and like you I was put on steriods for the pain which has helped but I also still have pain, more so when there is some pressured applied. I haven't been given any other drug yet but we have discussed an immunosuppressant.

Today I had my MRI and will get results in 3 weeks at my next appoint.

As for being constipated, my doc put me on movicol which is safe to take regularly, this has helped at lot, it's bad enough putting up with the pain of IBD but the feeling of being constipated is a real pain in the bum lol.

I hope this helps, you're not alone with this horrible pain..

I hope you feel better soon.

Let me know how your results go.

Take care xo

• Posted

Hi Grace,

We have indeed smile

Thank you for your message. I'm sorry to hear you are also still in pain. I feel like it's never going to go away because I've had pains for so long now. I might ask my doctor about the movicol as that would be useful. I've got laxido but I don't want to take laxatives all the time as I work a lot and can't guarantee when they will work or not.

I hope they sort your medication for you and your MRI results come back with no issues.

Both of us will probably know more when we get our results.

Good luck with yours too, let me know how you get on. smile x

• Posted

Hi grace . It sounds like you're in the same boat as me. Have you tried busopan for pain and bisicodoyl for constipation. It's strong but works but you need to be very near a toilet ha ha. Hope info helps. Get well some

• Posted

Hi Gayle,

It does appear that we're all in the same boat, although I'm quite lucky I don't suffer from stomach pain or cramps any more because my gastro doctor has put me on Movicol - read below how movicol works, it's quite safe to use.

Rather I still have pain in my lower right abdomen which is the IBD, even though the steriods I take (budesonide) are working.

??????

As for Buscopan, well, yesterday I had my MRI and the nurse said she was giving me buscopan intravenously which would relax the bowel, the scan all went well but when I finished I had blurred visioin, I couldn't focus properly and had a bloated stomach with severe wind, followed by very stinky gas, redfaceredface, as soon as I got home, I had diarrhea, OMG...... thankfully this all calmed down by the evening.

I don't want to experience this again, hehehehehehe.

Here is how movicol works,

I hope you all feel better soon

thanks for your advice

take care xox

- Unlike some laxatives that work to cause bowel contractions through nerve stimulation, MOVICOL has

a natural mode of action that works gently, in harmony with your body.

MOVICOL brings water to the hard, dry stool, and then acts locally in the colon to relieve constipation:

The water retained by MOVICOL softens the stool and bulks it up slightly.

As the stool gently expands, it naturally triggers colonic activity and a bowel movement.

Because of the lubricating effect of MOVICOL and the rehydrated, softened, stool – the bowel movement feels comfortable.

There’s no gain or loss in either water or electrolytes, because when it’s mixed with water, MOVICOL forms an ‘iso-osmotic’ solution – which is less likely to dehydrate the body. And once it’s worked to bring about a bowel movement, the active molecule, Macrogol 3350, is expelled from the body virtually unabsorbed.

• Posted

Hi Fran, Hi Grace

I hate Crohn's...

I am on Budesnide and balsalazide and docusate sodium which is a stool softener not a laxative.

I find things move which holds the pain down. Heating pad is also helpful.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith,

Thanks for your message.

I'm sorry to hear you also suffer. Thank you for your advice. I'm hoping the pain will go one day - are you always in pain?

I know everyone suffers differently so it's hard to know if I will ever be pain free, but I guess it's still early days.

I hope you start to feel better soon smile

• Posted

Hi Fran

Things can become very painful when my gut slows down.

Otherwise I may just feel sore.

hope you feel better too

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi fran54405 .

I've only been diagnosed recently and suffer with constipation. I'm in most days especially at night. I've started just this month writing down what I eat to try and help me. To see if certain foods cause pain , like for me sausages. I've downloaded a few books on the stages of the flare ups and what to do. I use Ensure drinks when I can't eat. Hope I've helped a bit.

• Posted

Hi Gayle,

Thanks for your message.

I'm sorry to read you are in pain a lot. It's horrible how so many people suffer. That's really useful to know - I didn't know there were different stages of flares.

I've tried keeping a good diary but also recently discussed I have an intolerance to gluten and dairy and avoid all red meat and typical foods that are bad for flares such as high diver, skins, peels, nuts etc so my diet is very limited at the moment and although I eat practically chicken, fish and avacado every day - still get a lot of pain.

Thank you for your help though- I will definitely look into some books on stages of flares.

I hope you start to feel better soon too smile

• Posted

Try tesco for gluten free and lactose free for your dairy and try soya especially if you like yoghurt. I live on yoghurt
    • Posted

Thank you, Tesco is great. I've found some good bits

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.