Confused about possible autoimmune?

Posted , 2 users are following.

34 year old white male. 6" tall (182cm). 225 lbs (102kg). 

Conditions: piriformis syndrome, asthma, bi lateral carpal tunnel.

ANA Results : 1:160 speckled, 1:160 homogenous

Up until 3 months ago I was in great physical shape. Went to gym almost every day. Weighed in at 205 lbs (93kg).  Felt great, best Ive felt in years. Then I started having breathing issues, hand numbness and pain, overall weakness, overall fatigue, and severe back/hip pain. 

After a nerve study and EMG I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel. Then after a spirometry test I was diagnosed with 60% lung capacity and asthma. I was also diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome in right side. Along with these tests, I have had Echos, EKG, Urine Tests, Blood Tests, Lung and Hand XRays, and Sleep Study done.

Everything has come back normal except my ANA test of 1:160 for speckled and homogenous, and a slightly high CK of 268. I decided to make a list of symptoms I have encountered over the last year and it is extensive. Most I have shrugged off becasue I dont do doctors. Havent been to one since I was 24, other than a yearly physical. I will be more than happy to post my list apon request.

My concern is my ANA test. I know its low positive. But is it normal to have 2 test out like that? The following tests were done and tested negative:

CCP

Antibodies - SM,RNP,RO,LA

DPC Sed Rate

Rheumatoid Factor

AMA

GGT

CRP

Thanks

Rick

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

sounds like me.  i was diagnosed with psoriatic spondylitis but spoindylitis can also be caused by something other than psoriasis.  maybe ask doc to do an hla-b27 test to see if you're positive for that.  it's highly specific for spondylitis that is ankylosing.  given your severe back and hip pain and piriformis and carpal tunnel  i would question my doctor for a spondylitis workup.  mri's of the sacroilliac joints is necessary.  my ana was positive too a few times but like doctors tell me it's not specific...so why test is my question, but another subject i guess.  be your own best advocate and keep pressing for answers.  it took me a long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.