Confused about readings.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Help needed! I thought I had got this bp thing sussed. Eat well, exercise daily, avoid bad things etc. Saw my GP yesterday for results of blood tests and she threw a spanner in the works. My bloods looked fine and as I suffer from white coat syndrome I took in my "little black book" of my regular readings of which I am quite proud. They show an average of mid-high 120's/mid-high80's which compared to where I was a year ago is in my book brilliant. My GP said they are TOO LOW as they should be nearer 150/90. She has said this before and I didn't understand it then either! Apparently if you are on medication for high bp your readings should be in the 150/90 range. Has anyone heard of this before? Help I am confused!!

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds odd to me as my GP says should be below 140 and 90 though qualifies it by saying that this a lower guideline than previously recommended. Try a different doc for an apptmt or go to a gym/chemist for a reading and advice if you can maybe just to check it out.
    • Posted

My post has prompted quite a bit of debate and the most interesting aspect is that there is confusion around these numbers and I am not alone in being mystified. I will continue what I am doing and not get too worked up about an occasional high reading. It is about averages and that is what I will focus on.
  • Posted

When I was first put on BP meds 2 years ago [24 hr monitor was 163/93] I was told to aim for below 135/85 which i have managed to do and now have an average of <125 8="" -="" 130/80=""> which the GP seems fine with. I do worry myself at the relatively high morning readings compared to the evening ones but these fears have been dismissed. I also have rather high diastolic readings in the morning which I don't like to see, that was dismissed too. I take Losartan 25mg, that was reduced from 50mg about 6 months ago as the averages were too low, or more to the point some  of the individual readings were too low.

I wonder how old you are as I believe meds such as Felodipine which is a CCB I think are normally first line for anyone over 55 yrs apparently. I was 70 [72 now] and was offered them but refused  on the grounds that you can't eat grapefruit so it was a non starter for me!

Your GP's rules don't seem to tally with most of the thinking these days, i thought the lower the better,  but at one time i think they used to say the systolic should be 100 + your age.That's certainly not so today!

• Posted

Who knows, perhaps the hundred plus your age was the right approach. So often now the the old thoughts are proved right.

100+ my age and I would have less need of medications every year and be drug free by the time I'm 110:-)

• Posted

Hi Jane. I will be 64 in June. I only take my 10mg of ramipril and 10mg statin and sometimes something for my diverticulitis. I have decided to carry on doing what I think is right taking into consideration advise from this forum and info from the internet. I am pleased with my readings despite what my GP says!!
  • Posted

Sounds flippin' daft to me ! But then being a cynic I wonder if the idea is to have a B/P thats around 150/90 so that they can continue to prescribe medication and the drug companies make loads of money. I am on 10mgs of Ramipril and my B/P is around 128/80, GP seems pleased with this.
    • Posted

Hi Bess. Can we swop GP's?!!! I don't think you are being cynical at all. I have always thought that the relationship between doctors and drug companies is an unhealthy one (no pun intended) I thought I was going to receive a pat on the back instead she seemed rather annoyed with me!
    • Posted

Fisherman, you should have had a pat on the back ! I recently changed doctor as moved to a different area. My previous doctor said there was no need for me to take a statin but this one, on hearing I am very anti, said this is a conversation we can have another time - oh no, we cant ! I read an article by a Scottish GP who said that research is funded by drug companies who supply the funding on condition that they have total control over what is published. They are able to publish only what they wish us to read and the rest never sees the light of day. Makes my blood run cold.
    • Posted

I am not into conspiracy theories but I cannot help but question why so many GP's (mine included) rave about statins but all the independent information is that their disadvantages outweigh their benefits. Why then are they being given out like sweets unless there is something in it for the medical profession?
  • Posted

is she an elderly doctor fisherman?
    • Posted

No she isn't Helen. Late 30's/early 40's I guess but she has very fixed ideas about things. You should have heard the "lecture" I got on statins!! I have since discovered they are not all they're cracked up to be!
    • Posted

Ask her if her parents/grandparents take them and with what result.
  • Posted

And ask her if, with your medical history, she would take them!

That's what I asked my dr when she offered me a statin last autumn,admittedly she was sheepish and knew what my answer would be. Each birthday increases the Qrisk score and now they have dropped it to 10% that covers almost everyone over a certain age!

She said NO she wouldn't and although she'd recommend them for anyone who had a heart problem, she didn't think they should be offered like sweets to anyone who didn't have a problem.

Another GP also told me the same thing, that they are being far too widely prescribed with no regard for the side effects.

• Posted

What annoys me is that in life we all depend on "professionals" to guide/advise us. The bankers have let us down, the politicians have let us down and now the medical profession. I know there are good ones out there, my mum has one, but the more I hear about GP's the more concerned I am.
    • Posted

As far as Politicans and Bankers are concerned, I take the view that there are few if any good ones left.

When it comes to medical professionals, there are good ones and not so good ones.

At one time being a doctor was a dedicated profession where the good of the patient was the sole priority.

Today the story is different. Most practices are run as businesses, and quite apart from the pressures imposed by the State, the doctors have created too many pressures for themselves.

They say that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and if that is the case then things have sadly gone downhill.

End of.

• Posted

They would be better if they had less patients to care for and be able to give patients the time a proper consultation needs.
    • Posted

Politicians and bankers are in their professions for very different reasons.

Not many Bakers need to out touting for second jobs:-)

• Posted

My GP looks pretty fit for his mid 50's and still runs marathons but takes a statin for his fairly high cholesterol.

With me when ordering some blood tests the other week he resignedly said we will not bother about checking your cholesterol:-)

• Posted

In my view they are all GREEDY, bankers for riches they don't deserve and politicians for more power that will enable them to userp, leading to the same place - more power and more money.
    • Posted

My wife reckons if I didn't get so wound up about bankers bonuses, politicians expenses and inefficient doctors my bp would be fine! She's got a point!!!!!
    • Posted

I totally agree. I always feel rushed when I see my doctor. It would be nice to talk about issues in a more relaxed way but I am aware there is a waiting room full of people.
    • Posted

If you had no worries Fisherman, then you would worry because you had none.

Just accept it Fisherman, you are a born worrier like the rest of us.

• Posted

My hypertension started during the dot com boom. I told my GP that my BP was going up with the market. When the dot com bubble burst my BP did not go down with my once spectacular gains. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.