Confused about symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. Im new to the group.

Im after some advice. I apologise if this is a long post. Please bear with me.

My symptoms started in 2006 after my mum died, at first I thought I had flu, but this soon progressed to me be in so much pain I couldn't move, I was in unbearable pain in every part of my body. I couldn't even move my fingers without crying. This would last until I had forced myself to move for over 2 hours. I had 2 small children and was a single mum so no choice but to get up, otherwise I probably would have killed myself. Soon after I was diagnosed with RA, I was started on pain killers which helped a bit and my symptoms were reduced. I then moved to different area and so had a new consultant, he started me on sulfasalazine and these worked really well. I then became pregnant in 2009 and stopped all medication I had an awful time so once I had my daughter the GP started me back on sulfasalazine and I went back to the consultant who despite me saying I felt awful he said that the medication had cured my RA and as he was retiring he passed my case to a new doctor who told me I have fibro and she didn't want to see me again.

Now after being treated with a number of pain killers I have really bad painful clicky joints and my pain killers not working I'm wondering if I do have RA after all. Im worried that I'm going to end up back to the stage where I can't move.

I have to go for surgery on my jaw and possibly on my cervical spine.

I have 4 children now and my youngest has spina bifida and is unable to walk so I can't go back to how I was.

All my bloods came back positive for RA except my HB goes up when it should go down even in pregnancy so I'm just weird.

Should I go private or is this just fibro. I feel like I did back 2006 before it got bad and I'm getting worse.

Thank you for reading to the end.

Beccy

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think it would be wrong for anyone on this forum to diagnose your complaint.   If you have doubts about your diagnosis, then you should by all means seek out another diagnosis - private or otherwise.
  • Posted

Hello Rebecca,

Fibromyalgia is a muscle condition or disease, not joint related as rheumatoid arthritis. However, those with rheumatoid arhtiritis, which is a autoimmune disease, are somewhat more susceptible to getting fibromyalgia as well. So it is possible, but hopefully this is not your case, to have both of these conditions at the same time, which would make it somewhat difficult for doctors to make a diagnosis.

I am not a doctor and am not trying to diagnose here. I think it would be in your best interest to be referred to a rheumatologist to verify whether or not you have RA. He or she would also be able to help with fibromyalgia, if this is indeed what you have. There is no cure for fibromyalgia and the treatment mainly consists of improving your sleep pattern so your body can work on healing itself or putting this condition into remission. Treatment also includes treating the pain being experienced. So start with a rheumatologist who cares for his or her patients and truly wants to help them to get better.

Hope this helps,

Don

• Posted

Ugh I hate doctors like that. Rheumatologists are notorious for it. If you had positive RF, chances are you DO have an autoimmune disease.

Was your ANA tested?

I've had + RF, ANA, anti dsdna and list goes on. Disg in 2006 with Lupus and RA. (Fibromyalgia in 1997). I've been so crook lately, so saw a rheumatologist. It felt like she was just focusing on the Fibromyalgia.

Have you tried Methotrexate? I sympathise with you. I've been on my own almost 9 yrs and have 2 sons with Autism. Go get another opinion xx

• Posted

Sounds like rubbish GP. I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia not long after my dear Mum died then also RA .I still see same rheumatologist since 2011.Crazy saying you are cured.I would ask to see another GP and insist on tests and seeing a rheumatologist who has experience of this. I have several auto immune diseases and wouldnt want my GP dealing with them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.