Confused after first neurology appointment / preliminary tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

Due to a rather extensive list of symptoms my GP referred me to a neurologist and I'm now awaiting appointments for a brain and spine MRI scan and electromyography test following his recommendation.

The preliminary exam didn't show any sign of organic issues but on the leg resistance test I scored only a one on the muscle strength scale, which I'm confused by. I do struggle with weakness particularly in my legs but can generally walk / sit / move around without difficulty that's obvious to others. I found this test difficult and feel like I can / should be able to do better. The neurologist even remarked on how it was almost like I wasn't making any effort in that test. Now questioning whether this means it's likely to be more psychological than physical?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is he doing blood tests for gentic conditions?
    • Posted

Hi, as far as I'm aware he's only ordering the MRI and EMG. I already have a diagnosis for ME / CFS, which I've had for years now following glandular fever and Epstein Barr.

The reason my GP referred me to a neurologist is because in the last six months I've had a relapse that has involved some new symptoms for me, such as frequent pins and needles / tingling in various parts of my body, severe leg weakness (worse than ever before with my ME) and increased balance issues. The GP wanted this investigated after she mentioned the possibility of MS. The neurologist thinks it's very unlikely to be that going by the physical tests he performed. He also told me my symptoms seem to be neurologically non organic and mentioned 'Functional disorder', which from my understanding sounds like a psychological issue rather than a physical one? That in itself alarms me somewhat to be honest and makes me feel like perhaps his view is that I'm malingering.

I'm sure a common thought on this forum is "I wish it would all just go away" and I guess that's why I'm here.. because at the moment I feel really quite isolated with this. I've actually never used forums before and tend to keep as private as I can where my health issues are concerned but I seem to have reached a point where I need to open up about it.

• Posted

No, how is it tested? I haven't heard of that disease before so know nothing about it.

• Posted

A physical examination but mainly genetic blood tests and nerve conduction tests.

Like all others the diagnosis can be suspect. My genetic blood tests were negative two years ago. The nerve conduction tests were inconclusive  but a neurologist at another hospital last month said that the blood tests do not always confirm it and he feels definite in his diagnosis.

When I get his report I will be sending a copy to the earlier hospital for their opinion.

It is a heredity disease but can skip generations or be late onset in some people. Very late onset in my case if correct.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.