CONFUSED AFTER OP.....??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok please bare with me whilst I try to ask my questions make sense!! 

10 days ago I had an operation. My symptoms were ‘open’ feeling and a mild cystocele ie I could sometimes feel a bulge from my bladder. During the examination my surgeon told me the episiotomy I had done had failed leaving it open and I had ‘marked deficiency of any perineal body.’ He said the cystocele was possibly due to the fact there was no support anywhere else and therefore may get better after perenium repair.

So when I went for surgery it was called ‘rectocele and perineal reconstruction’ and I presumed that even though I didn’t have a rectocele, the midwives had essentially cut there during the episiotomy so he had to repair everything. He said I had ‘no tissue’ On the right hand side so clearly a lot of repair went on. 

ANYWAY I have received a letter today to say that surgery was done to repair a low rectocele (I didn’t know I had this so I’m confused and worrying but presuming it was because of above)  and reconstructed the perineal body. It also says he’s now doubtful that the mild cystocele is symptomatic but did not operate on the anterior wall to minimise the risk of sexual dysfunction....

I will see the surgeon in a week but I guess I’m wondering if anyone has had this and not had to then have a cystocele repair? I’m only 30, I’m just so upset that we have all had to go through this.... do people find afterwards that it’s roo tight or numb? I don’t even have a partner (divorced) so I’m dreading ever meeting someone now 😢

Thanks so much 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura,

While my situation is a bit different than you (I’m 52 and had A&P repair with TOT bladder sling), I did want to reach out and let you know to hang in there.  10 days out there is stil SO much swelling.  I am 26 days out and still have periods of time where I have that lemon/orange/grapefruit feeling pending my level of activity.  Give yourself time to heal...and try not to worry.  If you have questions about what your surgeon did, why don’t you give them a call?  You deserve to know and understand what was done and they will certainly understand and appreciate your questions.  I would think that this repair will give you your best shot at having a healthy perineal area - and it seems as though your surgeon was cognizent of working to ensure you are able to have sexual functionality.  Wishing you the best in your recovery!

• Posted

You are in very early days. Recovery from rectocele repair is a long and sometimes hard road. If you rest and keep constipation at bay you will feel so much better at 4-6 weeks. Lack of a strong perineal tissue is more likely to affect the bowel (rectocele) than the bladder (cystocele). So maybe that is the repair that you needed.

Read the questions in the forum you will find a wealth of helpful information.

Take pain meds when needed will help your recovery. I have had both rectocele and cystocele repair in past 7 months. Doing well now (I hope) only 2weeks out from cystocele which is much easier recovery  than rectocele.

Wishing you a good recovery. 

Iris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.