Confused after Ultrasound Gallstones

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok so I got an Ultrasound because I get pain daily in my abdomen, shoulder blades and back, sometimes it's extremely painful. I seen the doctor afterwards and they advised that it actually only 1 or 2 gallstones which usually wouldnt cause any bother. She's referred me to see a surgeon to discuss.

Has anyone ever had pain from just 1 gallstone? The doctor said it could be coming from my stomach but i've had tests done got multiple things and it's all clear. Could also just be bad indigestion. 0

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi

i had two stones but they were large.. the consultant advised to remove Gallbladder and i did.

still have pains but less often through diet change

thanks Vickie

• Posted

same here, i had 2 big stones and after diet change, liver gallbladder flushes, and enzyme... and no inflamation at the time of diagnosis and 1st pain attack... i waiting 18 months hoping to get rid of them and no luck. my digestion got worse, pain attacks more frequent even had pain when i didnt eat... so for me, it was time to get it out. not too mention the worry of it rupturing had me stressed out too. when i got the surgery done, 7 days ago... i had 2 big stones and my gallbladder was now inflammed, so it goes to show that in my case.. things only got worse as time went by. now i am on the road to recovery ☺

• Posted

i would say that if the 1 stone is big enough to block bile flow then yes

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at the end of March this year due to a gallstone compacting into the bile duct (it was 4cm).

As i'm aware one stone can cause pain - the size can also vary as some are small enough to pass. The pain when i had it was unbearable and i was constantly dosed up on painkillers and a 4g fat diet for half a year. At first i thought it was indigestion but turns out I had one big gallstone lolI spoke with my Dr who referred me to a surgeon.

I would get confirmation of gallstones through ultrasounds and talk to your surgeon about the results, the size and the things you can do for it.

when i spoke to my surgeon i got so scared at the idea of surgery that i said i would go on a low fat diet. I kept putting check ins with him off even though the pain got worse and the stones didnt budge. I ended up having emergency surgery. Some people though dont end up needing it removed as they can pass through - easily without damage and obstruction.

It all depends on your circumstance, the size where they sit etc. Talk to your Dr/surgeon more in depth about it and make a decision from there.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I would request a HIDA scan to be done. I had an untrasound which didnt show anything. I had the HIDA scan done and found that my gallbladder was barely functioning and needed to be removed.

Hopefully you can get some answers from that being done. Good luck with it all.

• Posted

So you have a couple of gallstones. Have you discussed the method of dissolving them with Ursodeoxycholic acid? Please read up on it. If your gallstones are cholesterol type they can be

dissolved with the mentioned acid. If you don't speak with or see a surgeon who is not familiar with the dissolution of those stones you will be advised to get rid of your gall bladder.

If your stones are 20mm or smaller they can be dissolved within about six months. Provided of course you are under medical supervision before and during and after the dissolution treatment. The correct dosage is related to body weight.

Some may say it does not work and some will say they return but research is very necessary to dispel the old wives tales as well as the scaremongering which is prevalent by those who do not know the full extent of the dissolution process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.