Confused and quite scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I am a 20 yr old student and my whole life i've never experienced anything quite like this. I don't have a history or familly history of tension type headaches but I had been experiencing quite a few headaches/migranes during a week so i decided to get it checked out with a doctor, from which he suggested firstly trying proranolol 10mg, taking one in the morning and one at night. I carried this out for a month and a bit but unfortunately my headaches continued and if anything felt worse, I could hardly concentrate let alone keep up with my studies at university. So I went back and got my meds chaged to amitriptyline 10 mg every night. Thankfully this worked a treat for a month but then my headaches starting coming back so i doubled my dose to 20 mg but still i was getting headaches. Here is the intreging bit, I ran out of tablets for a week or so and was away on holiday (Dubai) and my headaches stopped completely! everything was exaclty the same from diet to going to the gym. I come back home but within days my headaches start up again. Its getting to the point where I will have to drop out of university since the pain is too much to cope with and study at the same time. I'm not sure if any of you out there have had anything similar to me but any help would be really really appreciated! here you might say have you tried other remedies and i have, almonds did not have an effect, amd the peppermint oil helps for a few minutes then bang the headache is back. If you've read all this thank you for your time!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wondering if there is anything in your home causing this ? Fumes from something ? Or is it stress related ? I would ask your GP for a referral to a neurologist to ease your mind. Also ask for a rescue medication like one of the triptans as the tabs you have are to prevent migraines. A good multi vitamin should help and have you tried Feverfew which you can buy from health shops, good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! When it first started up there was no stressful situations/ issues, I had finished my second year at uni and was on my summer break just enjoying free time with friends/family etc. I have been taking vitamins before the headaches even happened, e.g. vitamin D and B tablets daily. Ok, I will try get some as soon as possible, hopefully it'll be the one to take the pain away!
  • Posted

Hi

Your tablet do you mean propanalo ( think spelt wrongly ). This brand of tablets are for tension related. ie hypertension. I notice you where aware in DUBAI therefore from your enviroment. It would appear to me ( NOT being a doctor etc ) that you have stress. Stress can vary from one person to the next, some people just want to talk even when they do not know you others clam up. Come back to me if you want to discuss.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! Yes sorry about that. That is what my doctor initially thought, but i think i mentioned in a reply above that when they started there was no stress whatsoever in my life at that time. If anything i am becoming increasingly worried about it but not stressed, if anything by stressing over it I won't be able to change the situation and it'll make me feel worse at the same time. 
  • Posted

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Stress related incidences. I suffer with stress strange I have so many hobbies/interests. When I was 13 I was in hospital with psoriasis they say that is family related stress. Personally with your headaches it could quite easily be stress. Migraine could also be affecting you  !!. Please have your blood pressure checked. Again come back to me .

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your headaches.  I was about your age when I began to get "tension" headaches that actually turned out to be migraines.  As you know, migraines have many triggers that vary depending on each person.  I finally gave up trying to figure out the trigger and began taking propranolol and pamelor in combination each night at bedtime.  The combination works great for me and I don't wake up with headaches any more. If I have a stubborn headache during the daytime I use Imitrex, which is for migraine and it saves my life.  I don't mind taking the meds because I want to have a good life and don't want my headaches to stop me.  My sister had a similar problem and actually has cured herself by taking magnesium at bedtime.  Do some research on it and I think you will be suprised about how simple this mineral could be to use.  She said it took about two weeks for the supplement to began working and that she hasn't had a headache since!
  • Posted

Hi! Although this may be stress related, I think you need to investigate further...have you had a boiler check recently for carbon monoxide fumes in your student accommodation? Do you have neck problems because of bad positioning during study times with computers etc ( these can be the cause of a lot of head pain). Often we put things down to stress, then find there is a practical reason that we hadn't thought of. Does taking a break from study and walking in the fresh air help relieve it? Do you work in an environment that is overheated/ dry heat etc? Just a few ideas to check....I would also consider a second opinion rather than just doubling up doses continually also. Hope you get well again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.