Confused and scared

Posted , 4 users are following.

Diagnosed with distal esophigitis. Also have osteoporosis. The Zantac and Carafate was not working still experiencing nausea on and off, burping, just not feeling well. MD says no more options need PPI dispite broken bone concerns. Take over counter PPI.  Went to health store and person there told me don't take PPI very harmful and gave me 50 billion cell probiotic specifically for digestive health. Now read 50 billion too strong for first time probiotic user. Also read not good if you have carb intolerance and I have for many yrs been using Lactaid for eating dairy cause I tested intolerant on a breath test at the doctor's office. Feeling overwhelmed and scared of making wrong choices.  Any info or advise or  experience on what to do greatly appreciated. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Go with your doctor's recommendation rather than someone in the health store.

PPIs are proven and most effective way to reduce acid.

But if you use them long term at a high dose, there is the risk that induced hypochlorhydria may result in malabsorption of calcium. Ask your doctor to prescribe calcium citrate to combat any calcium deficiency.

If you are worried about "side effects" of PPIs, visit the www BarrettsWessex org uk website and find their page on "PPI dangers" under the Treatments/Drugs tab. It puts the reports in perspective. - And you don't want the oesophagitis to progress to Barrett's or worse.

• Posted

Like me you are scared, don't get scared ok.  I am scared really alot too, but I think that makes us worse.  My thing is I dont have a good Dr at all, and I can't switch just yet.  I mean he reallys stinks!  I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, instead the jerk referred me to a ENT with found nothing 2 times in my throat, but I keep telling them, I have mental issues as it is, but anyway, I told them its not in my throat totally, its more between my throat and my chest.  I used to be able to swallow my 7-8 pills at a time, and now I have to take each tiny pill 1 at a time and the first one that I take, it gets stuck.  Everything I have tried medication wise hasn't worked.  So I dont know.  sad  I just want you to not get scared, even though its scary to have the feelings and being diagonsed with something and these Drs prescribing the PPI's are awful too.  Just be careful like you are seeming to be.  I hope you find something, anything at all.  smile 

• Posted

Thank you so much. I can feel you heartfelt support.

I hope that you are able to get a doctor that will really listen to you. Since it's between your throat and chest can you get them to give you a referral to a Gastro MD? I If you were able to get them to either diagnose or rule out the silent reflux issue at least you would know something more. I had an upper endoscopy and while sounding uncomfortable it was no big deal. Telling you this because I don't want you to have increased anxiety should you ever need one.   

I am prone to anxiety to begin with but especially scared because my relatives passed not to far from my age from stomach cancer,esophigal cancer, colon cancer and complications of a broken hip (osteoporosis caused it) My family is fortunate to have good blood pressure and no cardiac problems so I don't worry in that direction.  Having worked in a medically related field and seeing what I saw I do try to be proactive and cautious but knowing too much of what goes on seems to lead to increased anxiety. 

Unfortunately, one reason doctors do not look at and treat the whole person is because the time involved would not be cost effective to their insurance reimbursements. Medical today is so cookie cutter, it is unnerving. Please be careful when you tell them you have mental health issues because it might prejudice them to dismiss medical issues that are not readily diagnosable as psychological in origin. 

Your right the pharmaceutical situation is awful. We as consumers have to sift through safe and unsafe drugs. The pharmaceutical sales reps educate the doctors on the manufactures drugs as part of their sales presentations. Years latter in the aftermarket problems surface. At least prescription drugs are FDA regulated although there is contriversary with the agencies effectiveness but probiotics have no oversight.  Anxiety does make us worse and it is a constant battle as you age and have to deal with increased health issues. Thank you again so much for your good wishes and support. 

• Posted

My Dr is so unreal that he told me when I asked for a mammogram that it was a waste of time and money because I am not yet 50!  I said well cancer runs in my family and I want one and my insurance keeps sending me the things that I need to do it!  So refer me!!!  He dismissed almost everything else and did refer me to a Gastro for an endoscopy, but now I have to wait another almost 2 weeks just to have a consult with him.  Then hopefully he gives me and endoscopy.  This isn't all mental I know my anxiety has a part in it though, but my other problem is, i see all my medical chart and then look it up online and panic.  UGH  And the worst is I left MA, where there are some of the best Drs in the world and came to FL and they all stink.  The ones in MA took so much time with me and my family it was awesome.  And I mean, if it was mental then why would my medications that I used to be able to take 6-8 at a time get stuck in my throat as I take 1 at a time.  And why am I perfectly fine when I lay down at night time and then the min I take 1 sip of water its back?  I need to find another Dr, but I can't right now because of it being in the middle.  But, this week I sure am going to try and find out if I can.  This is so frustrating and not being able to punch a Dr in the face doesn't help.  sad  

• Posted

Hi love, you are what you think, you are what you eat, so becarful whit both. Doctors are good sometime, but sometimes a nutritionist is better choice.maby you can try this mastika, licorice, aloe vera, feed your self just with good stuff, and Please drink alot of water preferable not from your tap, go for a very pure like at list 7.8 ph. l am a people person, tonigh all my good an positive  thoughts are for people like you. take care love, you will be fine, you will enjoy life as you did before.x
    • Posted

Thanks!  What is 7.8 ph?  I have been eating good for a long time now, actually I was eating really good before all this happened and lost 15 pounds the right way.  I can't drink the water straight out of my tap, #1 it tastes like chlorine and it probably has a lot of other crap in it too.  We do have a filter on it though and I do drink so much of it.  Though today I finally gave in and got a Diet Coke, although it seems odd, it helped ease the feeling for awhile and what else is odd, it is crazy but drinking cold water is awful.  Also, I read that lemon is the best cure for getting rid of acid.  It makes the stomach stop producing it smile  Strange as it is, I said you know what I will try to do that again.  I did, 1/2 a lemon in about 20 ounces of water and it worked for a little while, but after I ate, came right back.  Feels as though the food is trying to come back up and burping feels great until I swallow again sad  You are so thoughtful to send positive thoughts our way, that is so nice.  Keep sending them, I need them.  smile  What also is mastika?  And the aloe is it in a pill form?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.