Confused BP readings

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on BP medication for about 30 years and have recently stopped taking them as agreed with my doctor. I feel much better for not taking medication however I am getting strange readings. My readings are usually around 155/78. The lower reading is less than it was while taking medication and the top reading is about the same as when I was taking the medication. Is this normal? Is it a problem? What could be causing my systolic to be so high when my diastolic is normal? When I was first diagnosed in 1985 the doctor was only interested in the lower number which is fine, is this still the case?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The top number is too high. I had a similar top number to you, but have managed to reduce this by exercising more, taking coQ10 supplement, giving blood and getting more sleep. Not sure which of those actually worked but my systolic now down to 138. If I could actually give up drinking I would hope to get it down to the low 130s.  You may be too old to give blood but if not you get free crisps!

At that level of systolic your chances of a stroke are elevated. 

• Posted

Thanks alexays I am 68 so not sure about giving blood, I used to give it before the BP medication then they said I couldn't give it any more I had given 25 pints at that stage. I am fit, I have my own gym in the garage which I  use at least three times a week. I also walk 2.5 miles four days a week and I play golf twice a week. I don't smoke and only drink a couple of glasses of red wine if we go out for a meal. Sleep could be one thing as I am usually up and around by 6.15 most days but do manage to get at least 6.5 hours of sleep in. I will look out for the coQ10 supplement to see if that helps. 
    • Posted

Hi there what medication were you taking and what was your bottom number when you were diagnosed good luck  
    • Posted

You are probably doing all you can really. If you could get to bed by 10:30 then getting up at 6:15 would be OK. But then you might wake up at 5:00 am instead!
  • Posted

I believe the top number can be caused by stress as well so try to find a way of relaxing and clearing your mind. 
  • Posted

I would worry too much about your readings, they do differ at different times of the day.  

The only person to take any notice of is your Doctor. 

• Posted

Sorry I meant to type "I wouldn't worry too much about your readings"
  • Posted

eurk, was there a particular reason for stopping the medication after all those years?

A systolic reading of 155 is not unduly high.

Yes, years ago we were always told that the diastolic figure was the important one to watch, but when I have raised this with different medics recently they all say that that doesn't apply any more and both systolic and diastolic are important.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the 155.  However, if you are worrying about it (and worry won't help!), then perhaps it would be better to discuss it with your GP and, if necessary, try another medication.

• Posted

Hi Euk. Firstly can I say that medical opinion DOES change. Not only for us folk with high bp  but other people with other issues. My wife is T2 diabetic and she gets conflicting messages from the medical industry all the time! In our cases, both readings are relevant. Well done on getting off medication after all those years. Depending on your mobility, it is vital that you exercise daily. A brisk 30 min walk is ideal. Diet is also an important factor. There is strong evidence that what we eat ( and what we DON'T eat) is vital in reducing bp. Beetroot, almonds, garlic etc are foods proven to lower bp. Avoiding alcohol, processed and salty foods, all "fast foods/take aways" are bad for us with high bp. Sugar in all its forms is bad news.

I think that once lifestyle changes become routine your numbers will be generally lower. Good luck and Healthy New Year!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply I am very active playing golf twice a week and walking 2.5 miles a day four days a week. I have found garlic to be good also pomegranate juice so will continue with them and see how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.