Confused by benefits and side effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone new here so please be patient found this site while reading up on the side effects of Amlodipine.  I have an irregular heartbeat which was always kept controlled by a Beta Blocker. However just before Xmas I had an episode of chest pain and breathlesness and B.P. shot up. I saw a new GP at our practice who took me off the Beta Blocke ( Bisoprolol) as I am slightly asthmatic and prescirbed Amlodipine in its place.

I have been fine untill a couple of months ago ( apart from the ankle swelling and needing to get up to the loo every 2 hours at night) However I started to feel palpitations and chest pain around 5 weeks ago and my BP had dropped quite low. I  returned to Docs who did ECG and am now on Warfarin and the Beta blocker has been added back to the mix.

Am now totally confused as reading the side effects of Amlodipine  they cause a lot of the things I suffer from and are supposed to help.  Such as the chest pain, palpitations, feeling dizzy, sweaty and trembling hands am getting all these at the moment.   Current G.P is gradually reducing dosage was 15mg , down to 10mg and now back to 5mg.

Sorry for such a long first post just hoping someone has some views re the benefits (if any) vs the side effects - Totally confused mysel  neutral

Probably confused you all too - Sorry . Chris

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Chris! That's  good you got seen to atlast & you've an appointment at the hospital very soon Good!

What is ablation I don't often see this word much, sorry for sounding thick, what's it connected to in the way of treatment it sounds painful please forgive me for asking!?neutral

• Posted

Oh and Thank you Chris I shall keep you updated have a good night!smile
    • Posted

Hi Karen

Sorry don't know too much about ablation my hubby read up on it but I'm one of those people that would rather not know before I have to sad

All I would let him tell me is apparently it is a procedure to either freeze or lazer the nerves that send the extra electical impulses ( causing the extra heart beats)  They enter through the groin and up into the heart.  I beleive some people have it done while awake but can also be sedated.  I'm a coward have already told my GP  if I need it they will have to put me out   sad

As far as I'm concerned thats all I need or want to know lol 

Have you managed to get an appointment yet?

• Posted

evening Chris17

Sorry for the delay getting back to you! Yes I did & he still insists I continue with the amlodipine after showing him the state of my lower legs he said see how I go for a few more weeks or a month I can't remember which & to see him again also because I have had some bad pains in my arm like arthritis or a fracture He arranged for me tohave a plain x-ray what that might show up I don't know only broken bones but no arthritis most brobably all I know is something doesn't feel right I get the same pains on my feet at the top where my ankles are & when I had the red hot burning rash I could barely stand on my left footit felt as if it was going to snap I asked about getting my legs x-rayed but the doc said that they can only go by what the blood test shows I find that hard to believe also four day's before I had a blood test done for bone  density I had been on a weeks course of prednisolon & ciprofloxacin which both help to bring inflamation down so how would something like any type of arthritis or osteoperosis show in the blood test by that time any inflamation would be so small it wouldn't show I'm sure!? So now I'm waiting to find out from the x-ray what's causing this horrid searing sharp pain in my right arm thats there all day & every day for almost a month now & painkillers & analgesic cream just takes the edge off this is something I've never had before,Has anyone else suffered this here on this forum, is it the medicine the copd that i have or the blood pressure medicine I'm not sure but hope that the x-ray will provide the answer it can't be nothing I'm certain of that I swear the doctors think it's all in my head!?sad  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.