Confused by numbers-

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have had a massive array of health problems for the last 9 years, from everything including dizziness, stomach issues and everything inbetween. My mom bought a blood sugar testing kit nearly 6 years ago and for the last few years I will take my blood sigar when I feel sick, just to see. Many times its fine, but I have seen numbers as high as 170, 230, and even 280 one time. Just last year I went to the hemotologist for my anemia and they said my A1C was fine.

Was my meter wrong or too old or somethign? It does not happen frequently where it gets that high-it does get over 140 consistently tho esp after eating so im not sure. I feel like those are diabetic numbers, but I was told my A1C was fine so i dont know. Advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you diabetic?

• Posted

Sway asks a good question!

But I should also add - when you are ill from other reasons, that tends to raise your BG levels, too. If you get too many readings in the 200 range, needs to be discussed with a doctor.

• Posted

However anxiety can mimic a multitude of symptoms. If you continue to take you're sugar level and you continue to get anxious over it, that may raise it. It is something to get checked out. A sip of soda can raise it. Anything you put in you're body could raise it. Have you taken you're sugar level while fasting and without any medication?

• Posted

No I am not diabetic. I do eat a lot of sugar but I have gotten readings of 200+ when I was fasting for 8 hours. I do have pretty bad anxiety problems in general so im not sure

• Posted

What was your A1C that is "fine"?

Within an hour after you eat you may see higher numbers, they are supposed to get back towards normal within two hours.

As long as your pre-meal numbers are good, you're probably fine.

As for the meters - if the strips get old, then who knows, should be an expiration date on the container. And, the meters can be a bit wonky at their best. Funny you should mention, but the local CVS was giving away their meter if you bought their (cheap!) strips, so I tried it, and compared to my Bayer/Ascensia. The CVS was at least ten points lower when my BG was low, and either ten points lower or higher when my BG was high (~120).

So a six year old meter? Don't know. Maybe time for a new one, but still have to go more on averages than individual readings.

• Posted

I honestly dont know, the doctor just said it was "normal" she didnt tell me what my A1c actually was. Ill try to look for it. And yes it is that high even fasting, so im not sure why that would be

• Posted

You need to know or get the A1C number. Instant readings are useful when managing diabetes. A1C gives you an average over 3 months. That number is important to know. Without it all else is merely supposition.

• Posted

Hi, BG levels swing throughout the day whether you are diabetic or not. Most non diabetics would not see postprandial in the 200's but it could happen especially with very carb and sugar heavy meals (i.e. Ice Cream, Pasta, etc). A single reading does not mean too much. The A1C is a 3 month measure and is a better representation. However, I use both daily (multi prick) tests and get A1C's every three months.What was your actual A1C number? When people say it is "fine" that is sometimes a relative statement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.