Confused by protein guide lines

Posted , 1 user is following.

Ok so i have been going to the gym for quite a while now. I always took it semi seriously but nothing to serious. However now it is summer and i have no school i want to get more in shape/put on muscle. So what did i research? Protein. You would think it would be quite simple, increase protein intake to build/help muscle grow. However i found this what not the case, i was left confused by the professionals. When i first got into my research, i discovered guide lines show about a gram of protein for every pound of body weight. So for me that would be around 190g, all good right. Then i come across several articles that state to much protein in children(this could be kids aged 6, it is very vague) can cause kidney stones and organ failure. So this worried me as the RDA for my age(15) is 52g. If i followed the gram of protein per pound of body weight(which stated no where was it a rule for adults) i would be consuming nearly 4 times that. I then sort of figured out the RDA may be misguiding as i already consume around 120g of protein a day. So anyway, if the RDA for a 15 year old is 52g and im eating 120g, i must be at high risk of organ failure, even though i feel perfectly fine? I though no, the RDA is based on the ''average'' 15 year old who is 80 pounds and 5'5., so it must not apply to me. I then turned to youtube, and watched guys who were around 18,19 years old, who started their body transformation around my age. they all said they ate a gram of protein for every pound of body weight, some even took protein powders and their they were, healthy as ever, not in a hospital with organ failure. But then again 190g of protein if i follow that rule seems alot, but i suppose i am or feel like my adult size, very developed i would say. So basically i have health articles saying eat 1g of protein for every pound of body weight, which is 190g for me, in order to gain muscle. I then have articles saying to much protein in kids can cause organ failure, and my 190g is nearly 4x the 52g RDA. I then have fitness youtubers who consumed well above the RDA of protein at my age and they are perfectly fine. As you can see this is a lot of information that contrasts each other or doesn't make sense, e.g the RDA being extremely low, if i followed this i feel like i would just decay. I want to follow the 1g rule, as it seems supported by alot of research, however it is not made clear if this rule is for adults, and i don't want to damage my organs. So would it be safe for me to follow this rule. I workout 3-4 times a week(90 minute sessions, as well as 2 jiu jitsu sessions a week. My gut tells me to just go eat 190g of protein for best results, however its hard to shake articles that reference organ failure of eating to much protein, hopefully someone on here can give some more insight, not just a generic article that is worded in a way that covers there backs but leaves the reader confused. A bit about me, im 5'10, 189 pounds,15 and i stated previously how active i was. Hope someone on here can help me figure this out.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.