Confused by recent iron panel results.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 62 yr old female in UK. I found out 3 years ago that I am homozygous H63D through a DNA test I obtained myself. At that time I had lots of symptoms of GH but the medics refused to test me for GH because my ferritin was only 279 with a saturation percentage of 48%.

My GP could not be less interested and has never monitored my iron levels, nor advised me that it might be a good idea to notify my relatives that GH is in the family.

Consequently I have been monitoring myself wth blood tests arranged privately. My ferritin levels have fluctuated over the past 2 years with 276.2 being the highest and 119 being the lowest.

In April 2018 my ferritin was 119 ug/L (yay!). It' s now 182.

My serum iron at its lowest was 20.3 umol/L. It's now 31.26.

My transferrin saturation at it's lowest was 29.46%. It's now 55.37%.

My TIBC at it's highest was 68.9 umol/L . It's now 56.46.

My liver function tests are all with normal ranges and my latest CRP is towards the low end of normal. Presumably this means there is a low level of inflammation in the body?

I have been a pescatarian for 30 years. I do not eat meat. Nor do I drink alcohol. And I certainly do not supplement with anything containing iron!

I don't think I am consuming haem iron so I am at a loss to explain the recent spike in my levels.

I tried to donate blood at the Blood donation clinic a couple of years ago, but they refused to take it. (Because I once had a suspected angina attack....even though it turned out not to be and I received the all clear from the cardiologist. The blood donation people wouldn't take the risk of me being adversely affected by the sudden drop.)

So, my question is....should I be concerned about the recent increase in my saturation % and serum iron?

Thankyou.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately, homozygous H63D is not considered problematic haemochromatosis. The reference range of ferritin for a non-menstruating woman is 30-300.

A TS% >45 is a marker for haemochromatosis. Serum iron reference range is 5-30 and 31.26 puts you slightly over that range, but it could be lower next time. CRP range is <5. Mine is always <1 but very recent test was 1. I might have a low grade UTI - to be tested.

So you can see that your current levels are not to be concerned about. Ask your dr to keep monitoring it. Maybe every 6 months at most.

My husband is homozygous H63D and I am homozygous C282Y. At diagnosis his ferritin level was 552. He did not need many vx to bring it down and he has not loaded iron since them (although his last couple of serum irons were over 30 but his ferritin is still low).

It is a shame that the Blood bank has your suspected angina problem on record, otherwise you could donate blood (you do not need to have high ferritin to donate blood). But donating blood is beneficial for most people (unless they are anaemic). Perhaps you could ask your gp to send a letter to the Blood bank telling them that the problem was only suspected and was not an issue. Should he do that, do NOT mention haemochromatosis to them.

As for informing your relatives, go ahead and do so yourself. Show them your genetic results if necessary. For some, the problem could be worse than yours and at least you have given them the headsup. It could be worse for their children if the partner carries the C282Y HFE, so really, it is best to know. However, they may have to pay for a genetic test themselves unless they have a more open minded and knowledgeable dr. First degree relatives of someone who is homozygous is entitled to a free genetic test. But it will depend on the results of their Iron Studies if their dr would choose to order one. A lot of us have experienced that a most relatives just don't want to know.

BTW, a lot of haemochromatosis symptoms are also the same as menopause symptoms. I often have to ask myself, is this because I am in surgical menopause and my oestrogen has run out, or is it HH? Usually, an increase in oestrogen solves the problems.

Maybe check out your hormones, also make sure your Vit D levels are good (use a practitioners brand of Vit D3 forte drops if necessary), and also your Vit B12. If B12 is low, ask your dr for injections, which work better than tablets for some people. Some of us just don't absorb these vitamins very well. My husband does not absorb B12 even though he eats meat, and I don't absorb Vit D even though I live in the tropics and eat food that contains Vit D. A deficiency in either of these causes some major problems with health.

I hope this helps, eases your concerns, and puts you on a track to help yourself.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl,

Thankyou so much for your reply. I have learnt far more about GH from this site and the great people who respond to questions on it, than from the info provided by the medics.

I will do as you suggest.

Thanks again

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.