Confused diverticulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I’m in the hospital now . I’m  here for the last 7 days , I travelled to Poland for a holiday and I end up in there hospital . They treat me with a lots of antibiotics this morning I had my blood test so hopefully I will go home tomorrow ... but my question is where it’s all stop and do I have this diverticulitis again ?? If I becarefull with the food I eat what about other things like freezer drinks or alcohol 

I’m really confused with this new life style ... thanks 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My sympathies with you ending up in hospital on your holiday.  I had the same experience in January, when I fractured my knee on the first day of my trip to Lanzarote.  It can be so confusing if you don't speak the language. 

Diverticular Disease is a disease for life, so yes, you can get more attacks of diverticulitis.  The best way is to try and prevent future attacks by following a healthy low fat diet with plenty of soluble fibre, once you are over the attack.  You will also need to make sure you empty your bowels regularly without straining.  Many of us take a daily stool softener, so you need to research what is available in your country.  Also the medication is very strong and will make you feel bad, on top of the illness, and it can take 4 - 6 weeks to start feeling better.  You should look to take a good probiotic daily to help your gut.

A food diary will sort out what you can safely eat - we are all different with this disease.  For example, I can't eat gluten or full fat.  For others it can be all sorts of things - dairy, red meat, nuts, pips.  But while you are on the medication and recovering you should stick to fluids, then low residue foods (no fibre) to give your bowels a rest, until you can start re-introducing soluble fibre.  I can't speak for alcohol,although I have read that some people have no problem.  You'll have to try and see.  But moderation in all things - food and drink.  There's plenty of advice on this Forum to help you out.  To a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi thank you Felinia for your reply , yes that’s true when hospitalised in a different country the language play a strong role on the moral , this diverticulitis has just been treated with me and hopefully I’m going out this morning , all life changing for the sudden 

Good luck to me and everyone have this diverticulitis! 

• Posted

This is so helpful felinia. I'm grateful to fredy06774 for posting, as I too am just out if hospital. Had my first episode of Diverticulitis last Thursday. I had no idea I Diverticular Disease until then. I still feel so unwell due to the meds and diarrhoea, which I hope is just the antibiotics.

• Posted

Hi mate if you still have a diarrhoera the doctor did give me some tablets to carry on after the hospital like NO-SPA , ANAPRAN , and a NEOPARIN I have no idea what’s all about but it’s help for the diarrhoera
    • Posted

Hi Felinia. Really taking in your comments.

I had a routine colonoscopy two weeks ago,though I knew I had diverticulitis, 3 days after the test the abdominal pain and bloodying diarrhoea started with a vengeance. Visited Docs and all they offered was sleeping pills and to put a sample of stool in. Next day, couldn’t stand pain any longer and ended up in the local general hospital. They gave me a CT scan, iv fluids and anti biopics  for 5 days, the pain subsided, though the diarrhoea continues with less blood.

Managed to allow hospital to let me  home to recover. The hospital confirmed that the colonoscopy had more than likely aggravated my diverticulitis and caused this outbreak. 

Just trying hard to get back on track, with the continuation of the diarrhoea and the lack of appetite. Though  you get a wee warning with a pain build up, before you have to run to the toilet. 

This is my second bout of hospitalisation due to this condition, and probably the worst, but hopefully it should get better soon. 

• Posted

If it was a routine colonoscopy and you got admitted, I'm guessing you are in the USA.  Sometimes it's really not a good idea to poke the rattlesnake, as it strikes back with a vengeance.  I suppose though if you already had DD the docs wanted to monitor it.  Here in the UK there is no such thing as a routine colonoscopy, only if you have symptoms, and you are rarely admitted, just sent home with pills.  And there is NO follow up, just more pills at home if you get a flare up.  I expect you know to stick to fluids, then low residue food until you settle, and that it can take 4 - 6 weeks or even longer to start to feel better.  If you are asked to go for more colonoscopies, why not ask for a CT scan instead, or to swallow a camera, citing the problems you had with this one.  Was the endoscopist rough and/or rushed, or were you out of?  I had a decent one who stopped when he realised the diverticula were preventing safe passage of the scope.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Fredy,

I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will settle. Some foods do aggrevate diverticulosis in some people. Everyone is different with diverticulitis episodes. Is your diagnosis confirmed?

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.