Confused do i or don't i???!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just so confused had the disease grow out of or so I was told, now I find out this is impossible??!!! Just don't know what to do???

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon,

I don't know who told you that you can grow out of coeliac disease, but you have definitely been misinformed. Coeliac disease is a life-long condition, the only way to stay symptom free is by sticking to a gluten free diet. There is no confusion, this is fact. 

Sorry if you were hoping for a different response, but it's better that you know the truth. Not everyone gets symptoms with coeliac disease, but it doesn't mean you don't have it and the damage is still been done to your gut, so don't be tempted to 'cheat' if you are one of these people.

• Posted

Cheat if that's the case I've been cheating for the last 30 years?? Feeling worried!!!

• Posted

Simon,

Unfortunately, we DO have a life-long disease. Equally, it is a disease that is riddled with confusion and set-backs. There are a number of well-meaning individuals who are sincere with the information they disseminate - but they are sincerely wrong. We now know that a high percentage of individuals who are attempting a gluten free diet STILL experience celiac symptons.  Why? We are discovering that our autoimmune system can be triggered by inflamation. If, for instance, you have an allergy to a particular food that is totally gluten free, and it causes inflamation, even THIS can trigger your autoimmune disease to respond as if you had been glutened. My particular level of celiac it unusually high. My body responds to most foods that are listed in the FODMAP diet - which leaves me very little to eat. Over time, and by the total elimination of gluten, the body does regenerate intestinal villi.  HOWEVER, continued abuse, whether accidental or controlled, can cause irrepairable damage. NOW is the best time to change eating habits. DO NOT think that "Gluten "Free" or "GF" labels in the United States means GLUTEN FREE!  It does not! The FDA is allowed to label foods GF that still have 20 parts per million - enough to set some celiacs off.  Stay close to these blogs to better understand your disease.  All the best to you!

• Posted

Laurie so scared now!!! I was 9 or 10 when doctors told my folks I was okay, I'm soon to be 40 and all I can now think of is what damage have done???

• Posted

Simon,

Begin faithfully avoiding contamination NOW! You are different than many of us. I was diagnosed 8 month after a heart attack. I was 59 at the time. That was 4-years ago. I have 8 stents and a very rare form of Celiac disease ... AND I AM EXCITED ABOUT LIFE AND LIVING! Hang in there my friend. We are all with you !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.