Confused ESA plus disability premium

Posted , 5 users are following.

When my Husband passed 2014 I went back into ESA support group.Then sent for medical put in WRG after tribunal.I lost my severe disability premium which I had been getting before due to brain injury 2004 aged 40

.I get full rate on both groups with PIP

My son stays with me he is my carer.But has his own health problems .He gets full ESA support group .Plus Care only PIP. Plus carers allowance paid separate for me each week .

I get a underlying payment for hi!

I got a letter saying they owed me more than £2000 and were investigating

When I called they then said I had been overpaid a previous year .so its fixed its self out .

Confused every time I get ESA its different Figures

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted


    Sorry but i'm confused by your post. Who claims the carers allowance for who? is it your son that claims it for looking after you? If this is correct then this will be why you have an overpayment because one of the criteria for SDP is that no one claims carers allowance for looking after you.

    Sorry but i have no idea what "and underlying payment for hi" is

    Does anyone else live with you or is it just the 2 of you?

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      My son gets carers for me .only two of us in house my Husband died .Before my son got benefits I was given SDP. When son started benefits because I was entitled to carers for him also they took my SDP of me and was given a underlying carers award .They also done this previously when myself and Husband were on joint claim because we both had disability we got awarded a underlying carers award not full amount

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      It's not an underlying carers award. It's a carers premium paid on top of an existing benefit but to claim this you need to claim carers allowance. This premium isn't automatically awarded. The only person that can claim the carers allowance is the person doing the caring. Carers allowance is paid separately to any other benefit and it's deducted £1 for £1 depending on which benefit the person is claiming.

      If someone claims carers allowance for looking after another person then it affects any entitlement to the SDP, which means you won't be entitled to claim it.

      My advice to you is for your son to cancel the carers allowance and for you to claim the SDP because you'll be entitled to this because your son is claiming daily living PIP.

      What other benefits does your son claim? is it ESA/JSA/Income support or Universal credit?

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      My son gets ESA support group .MND Scotland sorted out our benefits when my husband died .All was fine until I went for assessment and they decided to put me in WRG after 13 years with brain injury the assessor lied through out my report .Because my son has mental health problems I was awarded carers for him and given this payment .

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Previously you said you were claiming carers allowance for you son, i'm assuming that you're both claiming carers allowance for each other, is that correct? If so then if it was MIND that advised you to do this then that's pretty awful advise, i must admit.

      You are losing out on £29 per week each, which is £116 per month each. £232 per month between you because you're claiming carers allowance for each other, you should be claiming SDP rather than the carers allowance.

      My advice is for both of you to ring carers allowance to cancel that claim. Once that is done you need to ring DWP/ESA and claim for the SDP by asking to fill out the IS10 over the phone. The SDP is £65.85 per week, which will increase your son's ESA to £194.30 per week, £388.60 every fortnight. Slightly less for yourself if you're still in the WRAG but definitely more than you're receiving now. You will then of course lose the carers allowance payment, naturally.

      This is win win situation because you are both losing out on a huge amount of money.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      No problem,

      I'm not sure what you mean by "you tried to sort it out but got no where" I can't help with the reasons why they said you owed them money. Without knowing all of your exact circumstances in the past and what benefits you claimed it's impossible to help with that one. Face to face advice is needed for that from an advice agency near you.

      My advice during this thread was for you both to claim the SDP and before you can do this you both need to cancel your carers allowance claim. Very easy to do this, just ring carers allowance and cancel it, job done. Then you can claim the SDP which is a very simple phone call to answer a few very straight forward questions. Then you'll be much better of financially each month.

      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up