Confused meds vs vinegar

Posted , 6 users are following.

Diagnosed with Distal Esophagitis at the EG junction and the Gastro said he found reddening and inflammatory changes.  Said GERD caused it and Prescribed Zantac 150 2x day for next few months. Never had GERD before. Symptoms started after stopping 18 months of Norotripyline to prevent migraines which worked as it ended the migraine nightmare. Surprised because while waitingmonths to get upper Endo Scope symptoms (belching and neausa) seemed to get less in duration and intensity. From reading postings in this forum wondering if this is low acid rather than too much and if taking the Zantac will make condition  worse or med dependent in long term. I bought the 75 instead if 150 dose to hedge my bet but hesitant to start meds. Is my thinking valid?  Anyone with knowledge, experience or same diagnosis and would be so kind to share thoughts or experience.. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you have oesophagitis, it was caused by acid splashing back into the oesophagus from the stomach. That is too much acid rather than not enough.

Acid suppressant medication like the H2 blocker, Zantac (ranitidine), or a PPI like omeprazole, are the best way of dealing with the acid so any reflux is less damaging.

Hopefully a few weeks is all it will need for the inflammation to clear up.

Do not bother with the "Acid and Alkaline" diets. They may work for one or two people but are often constructed on propagated myths. All foods end up with the same pH value once they are in the stomach.

We all react to foods differently due to our unique gut biome and infantile learned responses. Some foods may cause you to produce excess acid. The list may be unique to you. Keep a food diary to determine your own particular triggers to avoid.

Read the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk for more information.

• Posted

Hi Barretts,

What you say about the diets is something I can relate to.  Certain foods like pasta sauce they say to omit from diet but I never had trouble from that specifically. I think your right when you say the triggers are unique to the individual. In my case it might be I am eating my main meal at a late dinner hour and this is actually more problematic than the specific food I am eating. Trying to eat more meals and less at the dinner meal. 

• Posted

Continued. 

Also your advise concurs with my gasto MD. I increased the Zantac to 150 2x daily accepting this is a too much acid problem. Hopefully your both right and in a month or two the inflammation will be healed and I can discontinue the Zantac. 

Again in thank you for the good advise.

• Posted

dear merianna... ur symptoms sound like mine. i suffered from acid pains and was prescribed zantac but to no avail that it was changed yo omeprazole 20mg. two went by without much improvement so i had an upper ndscopy which revealed esophagitis and gastritis. was changed to prevacid 30 twice daily. three years now but the symptoms just come and go. there are times of sore throat, bloating, dizzness, chest arms shoulder pains, etc. then a hiatal hernia appeared which i guessed was causing the acid reflux... too bad for us, these symptoms are bound to stay. just give the zantac a try... it might work you. good luck...
  • Posted

I too am wondering the same thing.  I think that low acid is a larger problem than previously thought.  Because stomach acid is there for a reason...kills harmful bacteria, digests foods so nutrients can be absorbed, etc , when you reduce or get rid of it , you have issues.  food can sit in the stomach longer and bacteria,(now there because there is no stomach acid to kill it) feasts on the undigested food causing gas and bloating, This in turn can press on the sphincter and cause it to open and irritate the esophagus, which is not protected like the stomach so it takes very little acid to irritate it.  There is a lot of good information online.  I tried omeprazole and ended up with diarrhea and then,  just now( like you) switched to the zantac 75's.  Am also trying manuka honey to try to heal the gut/mucosal lining and some diet tweaks.  It is fairly easy to test for low acid, but you must be off of the acid reducers to get an accurate test.(not sure for how long)  You also shouldn't be using ibuprofen or similar medications as they can damage the stomach lining and then doing an acid test could cause problems. You can bet I am bringin this up with my doctor when i see him next.  Never once mentioned low acid could be an issue...Its definitely worth looking into!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.