Confused on when I should take Propranolol?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been recently prescribed 40mg Propranolol to be taken up to 3 times a day according to the box but have only been taking one at midday regardless if I am anxious or not. Also in the evenings I sometimes feel tensed up with tightness in shoulders and neck and feeling anxious but if my heart rate is between 70 and 80 beats a minute should I take one? Should I only take one if my heart is beating more than 80bpm? So confused!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

First, contact your doctor! I take 20 mg. three times a day. Even if I'm feeling calm, I'll take my med. About a month ago, I stopped, because I thought I was ok without it. The panic attacks started shortly after. I was really taken by surprise. So, explain it all to your doctor. I wish you good health.
    • Posted

Thank you anita32004. Have now made an appointment but feel a bit silly that i didn't ask at the time. Trouble is that I never seem to remember to ask the right questions when I'm at the Doctors as my brain seems to stop working when I am in there. Also didn't realise there were so many different doses. That means I can have up to 120mg per day which seems rather a lot compared to other people. My BP is normal so wonder why I am on a high dosage. Must write this all down. lol
  • Posted

120mg would be quite a high dose. I used to take 1 80mg slow release tablet a day which suited me better. They don't wear off so your heart rate stays lower.
    • Posted

That's what I thought too amy75782 so will be asking my Doctor next week.
  • Posted

Don't feel silly. We are all learning to manage our individual needs. I keep a journal and write down the questions that arise. So when I see my doctor /therapist, I can ask. My mind isn't all that reliable these days!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.