Confused please help!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on sertraline for 4 weeks and 4 days horrific first 2 weeks on them, then all last week (3rd week ) I felt completely normal again! Then on Sunday morning I woke with terrible anxiety had it ever since and Experiancing dips in my mood ! Gettig so frustrated now I just want to feel normal again!! Anyone experienced ups and downs onsettrskine?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

• Posted

Hi my name is Sarah and I have been on zoloft for almost 5months and its been hard. I have had anxiety since after I had my daughter and I was about 21 but I fought it and never took meds it would come and go but in the beginning of 2014 it hit hit me so so bad I started getting bad attacks and my thought process was off I started having intrusive thoughts and lost my appetite but I never went on meds so for 2 years I suffered so much fighting with my thoughts and feelings I couldn't function completely ..so I prayed about it and decided to try zoloft I was so scared and against it but I had to try it so I did and it was hard I had side effects but it was nothing compared to what I was feeling without taking them and now I feel better after 5months I'm on 100mg . but yes like 2 weeks ago I started feeling werid I had weri d thought and couldn't control it and then a week later I was fine again ....then last week I started feeling weri d it lasted for 4 days and now I'm back to normal . so it's the meds I guess and all I do is pray and tell myself I will be ok and it will pass ...all I ever want is to just be normal again but it's all in God's hands .keep taking your meds and don't give up you are not alone!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Ash I have heard so many comments from people on this forum and with almost everyone it is the same in that it can be a bit of a rollercoaster. This is exactly true for me I've been fine for the last few weeks and then this week tight chest and palpitations again which I'm just hoping will subside again. Try not to think too much about it but concentrate on other things, this in itself helps to relieve some of the discomfort from anxiety. Take care
    • Posted

It's so frustrating I just feel as tho I will never ever get better, I am taking them because I had my 4th baby 4 weeks ago and became very depressed and anxious! Anxiety is the worst in the mornings I vomit and get loose bowels etc, I had a bout of anxiety and depression last January but it only lasted two weeks and went by itself, I was great all last week but I had a few drinks on Saturday night and woke up Sunday back to square one so do I think it could b the alcohol that's gave me a set back?
    • Posted

It could be the alcohol as you've not been taking the tablets very long. The first time I drank after starting SSRIs I was a mess. There's a reason you're not supposed to drink alcohol on them I guess! You'll get there. Remember your hormones are also all haywire from just having had a baby. Hope you get back on track soon xx
    • Posted

That's what my husband said to, put me off drinking tbh, I love this forum it's great for support and advice, I am at the docs tomorrow so will have a chat with him x
    • Posted

Yes the alcohol does have a reverse effect in the early days of Sertraline and can make your symptoms much worse, basically it makes you urinate all the drugs out of your system therefore not maintaining that level in your body, or so I heard. It did the same to me in the early days. Also having a baby four weeks ago you are bound to be tired, this as well can make your symptoms worse.
    • Posted

I seldom drink on them. Even after years I can feel queer after half a glass of wine. Then the next time be fine. I can't stand feeling nauseous so I tend to avoid now x
  • Posted

Hi 

Im on day 59 of sertraline 50mg for anxiety especially health anxiety, and this week has been tough, had panic attacks and bad migraines, whereas last week was great! Very frustrated just want to get back to feeling myself!

• Posted

Hi ash , The doc upped my dose from 50 to 100 3weeks ago as I was on Zoloft ( sertraline) since November 2015 . I was feeling good last 3 weeks but 3 days ago I started feeling bad again with anxious feeling and panic I don't know wether this is the new dose is adjusting or what .

I hope it is and will feel better again , all what I want is to feel normal again as I have 4 kids needs all my attention .

What did your doc advice you about it ?

I hope we all get better soon .

• Posted

By the way I don't drink and only 2 cups of coffee per day .
    • Posted

Hi, she said I had to hold out until the 6 week Mark, then see what we can do, she doesn't seem keen on upping me to 150mg tho, I have had two good days where my mood will only dip for a few minutes half an hour at the most and my morning anxiety isn't as powerful I really think these meds need time to adjust our brains, hang in there sweetie your doing great, I also have 4 children my youngest was born Christmas Day so I am very sleep deprived which is probably a lot to do with me recovering slowly, hope ur well and keep going we will b better x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply as I really not feeling well I want to feel happy and normal . You made me feel good now , I shall wait and see how it goes sad
    • Posted

Keep your chin up, it's so hard I no, things WILL get better, my kids have kept me going, have u got a support network round u? Family? Friends? It's helps a lot when u can have a cry to someone, u will b looking back soon and thinking my god I remember how low I was not so long ago I am so glad I am back to myself 😃 x
    • Posted

MSG me anytime u like x
    • Posted

Hi sweetie, am ok, had 3 good days woke up every morning with the tiniest knot in my tummy, havnt had low moods in two days and my insomnia has decreased, little agitated today, I think it was the good drink I had last Sunday night that knocked me for 6, how are u doing? X
    • Posted

I'm not good feeling anxious all day and low apetite too although I'm taking 100mg Zoloft which is my upped dose it's my week 4 now so I don't know when is this mess gonna end .

I'm happy for you and hope you feel better and better .

• Posted

I am still not 100% tho but better than I was, still got the fear of bad days, like I said msg me whenever u like, as much as it's hard try and stay positive 😊 look for things that lift your mood a little, do u have depression? Not sure if my last post posted so apologies if it did I just can't see it on here x
    • Posted

Thanks again ash really your positive way in life affects others possitivly too . I have flashes of depression all day like feeling motivated wanting to do stuff and excited then the other minute feel down and anxious . Ahhh

It's so hard to stay like that but I'm trying to keep doing the stuff anyways.

Will give the 100mgs more week then will check with my doc .

• Posted

I would give it another two weeks darling, try your best, that's exactly how I was! Feeling up were I could Hoover and iron etc then went very very low again, then back up again and that went on all day, I always seemed in high spirits from 6pm until 11pm, the insomnia was horrific too! How are u sleeping? And how are u finding it coping with the kids? Do u have help? Did u ever get low to the point even doing your favourite thing (mines shopping) didn't even bring ur mood up?
    • Posted

You really won't feel like this forever 💗
    • Posted

Yes I will give it time as you adviced me , oh what you are saying is exactly me nowadays I hope it subside soon for both of us .

Before I took the med even shopping and all the stuff I loved and enjoyed doing lost interest in completely .

But I'm trying not to reach this point again hopefully .

• Posted

I had a bout of anxiety and depression last January and I got tablets but before they even took effect it cleared up on its own, that time was worse tho I felt suicidal, we will get through this, I am a week ahead of u so u will feel like me in a weeks time hopefully which is much better than what I was a week ago x
    • Posted

Thanks sweetie I appreciate your advices and I hope we get through this soon .

Will update you .

• Posted

Sorry for butting in on your discussion but I find these chats very helpful & helps me from going mad (more than normal lol) when I read your experiences of this medication. I'm going into my 3rd week, the first 2 have been hell. I had to resign from a new job & I can honestly say I'd never felt so ill. But today was a good day, I cooked, ironed & had a bit of a clean up. Knackered now lol but I can't stand the constant shaky, trembling & cramping feeling in my legs. It's that bad I won't leave the house without my husband or boys wih me, not that I want to go anywhere but im desperately trying not to stay in bed & I need to get back work 😢. This is my first experience of anxiety that I've had to give in to & receive treatment for but im terrified it's never going to leave me & I'll never be able to live my life again. Good luck with your journeys x
    • Posted

I feel like you, I'm on day 30 and terrified it won't go away. Dose was upped a couple of days ago and felt shaky today again. I'm self employed (a childminder) and I've not worked since Christmas. Looking at having to give it up for the foreseeable future. I tried to work 2 days last week but didn't cope so am having this week off. It's awful. Fingers crossed we both feel better soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Lesley , I just want to encourage you to stay strong and keep pushing forward . just know there are better days ahead and you will get through this ...I have been dealing with severe anexity for about 2 years and now I'm going on 5 months on 100mg ...I'm actually doing well this week ...I feel like myself again as for 2 weeks ago I felt crazy my thoughts were everywhere and I coudknt seem to control my thoughts ....but I prayed and told myself it will pass and I will be better and I did that and now I'm better . I know I will have good days and bad days but I've learned to keep postive through the bad days ......keep your head up and I'm here if you need support just know you are not alone !!
    • Posted

Thank you soo much, your kind words & encouragement means a lot. I know it's early days for me & I haven't found a coping mechanism yet, it's all very new & very scary. Luckily my GP is very good but I can't seem to accept that it's not gonna be a quick fix & I feel like my body has given up but my brain just won't stop long enough to help too.

Good luck to you too x

• Posted

I know it's hard . For me when I have racing thoughts of how my symptoms and depression is I feel so anxious that I start having heart palpitations and it can be on and off all day long and worse in the morning when I wake up . I wish better days will come .

Keep your doctor aware of your feelings .

It's also my first experience with anixity and medication since last November .

• Posted

How are u dodo? Having a bad night, feeling low and shaky, can't remember if I took my anti d this morning, and I have just done a workout DVD so not sure if that's why I feel sick and shaky x
    • Posted

Tomorrow is my 4 week mark and still racing thoughts not my self ahhh

And low also . I don't know if this is my mind is giving hard time for the med or it's the med no working as it supposed to be .

• Posted

What racing thoughts do u have? I was wheree u were at 4 weeks it should start to get better, I am driving myself mad trying to think of I took my meds this morning and cause I am feeling quite low it's making me think I havnt so want to take them but then scared incase I end up ill if I already took them this morning lol.... Where are u from ? Do u live in the uk? X
    • Posted

I live in canada . I all the time think of what I feel about my anixity and my mind recalls all the things that reminds me of my feeling then I have heart palpitations and low mood .

Not myself and I want to be back myself again . Mornings are the worse.

• Posted

For around 10 minutes I was sitting thinking I need to b in a mental hospital! I felt like that weeks ago when I was at my lowest and it scared me, must b having a bad day! I no how u feel I still ain't myself, we will b back to normal one day xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.