Confused TS on the rise but ferritin still normal

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few years ago I did a gene test for HH and test showed compound C282Y/H63D heterozygous. I read a couple of studies which suggest almost no one was affected of iron overload who had this genotype. I did question it at the time as my TS was around 50% but serum iron was in the middle end of normal. Fast forward to this week and serum iron is now 37 umol/l (207 ug) and TS is now 72.5. Over the past 6 months I noticed increasing pain at the SI joint. Could they be related and these studies be underestimating the C282Y/H63D genotypes ability to iron overload? Ferritin is completely normal (155).

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi! Are you male or female? How old r you?

I would say that ferritin 155 is a bit high for women and not-very-low for men, despite the fact that many labs' reference ranges put that up to 300-400.

Not everyone with iron overload shows elevated ferritin at first, and people with H63D (especially compound heterozygous) tend to be sensitive to TS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.