Confused? You bet I am!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi people, can anyone shed some light on what wss my life? I have spoken my doctor and dietitian today who have left me just a little bit confused. I wss due to have a camera test 10 days ago that was s nightmare so didn't go shead. I explained this to my doctor and she has said cut gluten if it's making you feel bad. My dietitian said the opposite, hmm confused. Who do i listen to or do i listen to my body? Something to do with food doesn't work, k have tried fodmaps, am vegetarian so have stripped my diet right back. Please help feel really confused.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Think there are many confused people out there over this issue. Think the ibs diagnosis can be a catch all for people who have gastro/intestinal issues which are poorly understood. I was given a diagnosis of ibs years ago but knew I didn't have it. After years of referrals here there and everywhere I was diagnosed with an auto immune disorder and gastritis. I don't have IBS and I feel a lot of people who are told they have it don't either.

• Posted

Think there are many confused people out there over this issue. Think the ibs diagnosis can be a catch all for people who have gastro/intestinal issues which are poorly understood. I was given a diagnosis of ibs years ago but knew I didn't have it. After years of referrals here there and everywhere I was diagnosed with an auto immune disorder and gastritis. I don't have IBS and I feel a lot of people who are told they have it don't either.

• Posted

Hmm interesting always thought i had gastritis. Despite asking my doctors over and over i was told this was only ibs. All i know is my first endoscopy came back inconclusive - back in 2007. I know this is NOT IBS. My dad had gastric problems for years. Whatever this i just want to know. But thank you for your help, i'll let you know how i get on.

• Posted

No it's going in the other end! Camera goes down into the tummy. That us how I was diagnosed with h pylori and gastritis. It is important to have those ruled out. H pylori is very easy to diagnose and can be done with a breath test. I have had it twice and it doesn't go away without anti biotics. Lazy doctors should learn to do their job properly. Instead of advising everyone to live on dry rice cakes and seaweed try diagnosing then you will be better placed to make suggestions about treatment. They really annoy me xx

• Posted

Hi Margaret, i know i will have to push to get the help i need. The worse problem are not the professionals but my family,, who have all become experts. How do they know what suits me or not? I have had a hyplori test which came back negative but i am certain I have gastritis.

• Posted

A gastroscopy would help you to confirm that or rule it out. I would directly request it. They can't really refuse without very strong and sensible reasons. X

• Posted

Hi Margaret, i have spoken to my doctor who is speaking to my consultant as of Monday just gone. They are going to decide if i need this at all if i need they already know i need general anaesthesic. Did a gastroscopy used to be a colonoscopy?

• Posted

hi no not as far as I know. And yes you have to have sedation but very mild form of it. It is worth doing for a proper diagnostic process. x

• Posted

Ah OK, just wondered they've got so many names. I have tried camera and mild sedation, no can do.

• Posted

its easy for a dietitian to say you can eat something w/o having been through those painful and uncomfortable symptoms. HERE IS THE SKINNY.... doctors haven't got a clue about IBS. BUT many people who suffer from ibs are gluten sensitive. So I WOULD ELIMINATE GLUTEN and start a diary introduce different foods one at a time and depending on what causes a reaction start eliminating from your diet. eventually you will realize what you can and cannot eat. GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Listen to your doctor and avoid gluten if it triggers symptoms and try a food diary to identify other intolerances. Dieticians are not doctors.

• Posted

Hi ladies now i am truly at s loss, I feel myself like gluten is no use. Something is making me ill, i don't know what but i know when my bowel ioose in the morning after i've eaten bread. I am trying to go without gluten as much as i can just to see how i get on. Hmm not a bad idea in my mind.

• Posted

That's simple and true. Got nicer bread now anyway and no-one which touch mine.

• Posted

The gluten free stuff is great, i don't get the runs with it.

• Posted

Precisely, i wish people would just understand that. However i have discovered myself that if i have a little bit of gluten say for instance something with breadcrumbs i am OK and if i'm stressed nothing sticks!

• Posted

I'm trying. Very little gluten seems to be causing next to no pain, something is working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.