Confusing iron labs..help!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 39 year old female. I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery almost 3 years ago. During the last three years my primary Dr has told me on several occasions that I was anemic. Well in September of 2017 he sent me to a hemotologist to find out why I was staying anemic. At that point he started me on 65mg of ferrious sulfate 3 times a day which I never took regular. Ok so my hemotologist did so many test. Bone marrow biopsy, 22 tubes of blood, ultrasound, pet scan, Muga scan, genetic testing, and a cat scan. The only thing he found was my spleen was twice the size it should be. Ok so my labs were good, all within normal range except my ferritin was on the low normal range of 20. My iron was normal and my iron sat was normal. My TIBC was normal but on the higher end... Anyway point being that October of 2017 everything was good. So fast forward to February 2018. My hemoglobin was perfect, ferritin dropped to 18 which is still low normal BUT, my iron, TIBC, and iron sat was way high. Iron 351, TIBC 403, and IronSAT 90 %. My Dr didn't say anything about hemochromatosis or that I was in iron overload. He just said stop taking the iron pills and repeat the labs in 90 days. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I haven't really had any issues I don't think. I do get pins and needles in my feet but that's about it. Am I at risk right now or does it take a while to deposit in the organs? With my ferritin at 18 am I even in iron overload? I don't know much about any of this and like I said my Dr didn't seem to concerned, but me, I'm freaking out. I don't understand how I'm iron deficient but when I take supplements it raises my iron through the roof but doesn't increase my ferritin.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

christina I am glad You posted this. Never thought i could get too much iron. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.