Confusion

Posted , 11 users are following.

Today I talked to a doctor that said No osteoporosis could be reversed regardless the reason.(menopause,alcohol, malnutrition, sedentary life)

In the best case it could be Stoped.

I'm really getting desperate....

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Yes I believe this is correct but with good diet, weight baring exercise and in some cases supplements/medication you can hault it worsening. 
  • Posted

This is EXACTLY the opposite of what my doctor told me. He told that the good news is that it IS reversible if I up my Vit D and Calcium levels and maintain an exercise regime. As I understand it bone is continually growing from the marrow and being lost at the outer layer so unless you have a condition that inhibits bone growth I don't know how he can be correct?

• Posted

Hi Dida, I am sorry that you feel confused but I went through the same feelings after being diagnosed. A friend said to me: "everyone 's bone density decreases with age, yours is a little faster. Exercise (weight bearing and other), supplements, diet and medicine can all help tremendously. Best wishes. I will keep tuned in and am happy to respond to your messages.

• Posted

Thank you dear Monique.

How did you find out you have OP?and what did you do dear?

• Posted

Dear Dida, Hello from LA!

I had breast cancer 3 years ago and as part of my checkup, my oncologist sent me to do a bone density test this last March. I was shocked, depressed and confused as I was a Pilates teacher and pretty active. I was prescribed osteoporosis drugs but declined to take it because of the side effects.  (Much to my doctor's disapproval).  I did not mention this originally in my post because this forum is there to support each other but not to influence anyone personal decision. So I decided to use exercise, diet and supplements instead. And hopefully this will help as much possible. I am considering buying a weight vest that you wear that is supposed to help. I feel more empowered by  my decision but I can certainly understand the confusion as over Googling can lead to that. But knowledge is power and armed with your Doctors advice and your own knowledge, you can make the choice that is right for you. I have recently become certified to teach osteoporosis clients and have modified my own Pilates workout (avoiding forward flexion of the spine and other). Best wishes Dida and let me know how you are doing! Have a pleasant Sunday! 

• Posted

Wow, I really feel like UFO sometimes when I hear how people had so many issues and still move and exercise....

I'm bedridden,miserable,angry,I want my life back....

I got this disease most probably due to my stupid decisions...I used to be anorexic as a teenager,then I was drinking myself to death because I couldn't deal with my parents problems.

I'm paying such a high price for this I want to literary die.

I literary feel how my bones are twisting and how soft they had become.

I have a feeling I will never feel normal despite all my efforts now.

Feel like I'm pouring into broken glass.

Many kisses from dida

• Posted

I am so sorry you feel so miserable. You should definitely speak with your doctor asap. There is help and support but you have to ask for it. Best wishes Dida!
    • Posted

Oh Dida, I am so sorry you feel so terrible!  I think you need to see your doctor or a different one!

much love

sheila

• Posted

UFO? dida59708...I feel your pain. I wonder the same thing as I read all these posts...some with pretty bad scores, but still so active, and they talk about how healthy they think they are. Having the diagnosis of severe osteoporosis, I wonder...what? I wish you well of course, but I can't help but feel at least a bit of comardie with you that I don't with many of these others...I struggle daily to get my life back...strength stamina, just being up and moving around like a normal person...nothing about this is normal.

• Posted

So more information here than when I posted my first reply, which was mostly reacting to what your doctor said.

If you are severely osteoporotic you will be prescribed medication. If it's a bìsphosphonate make sure your calcium and vitamin D levels are good as that helps the drug to work. To avoid gastric problems follow instructions on how to take the med to the letter.

To take some control over your situation consider taking some of the supplements which help bone density, like vitamin k2, magnesium, and eating foods which contain other micronutrients, like prunes for the boron, and leafy greens or even wheat grass for silica. See if you can get some instructions from a physiotherapist to help you gradually improve your strength so you can get moving again. The worse off you are, the less you have to do to see improvement!

• Posted

Oh for heaven's sake.  I'm not saying everyone can be successful but yes you can improve your bone density without the use of medication.  There has been research showing micronutrients can help.  Google combination of micronutrients bone

• Posted

Taking the drugs is counterproductive anyway as bone is a living organism that replenishes itself so interfering with that process is unwise in my humble opinion, Anything that helps the bone in replenishing makes sense. Lack of magnesium has been found to be involved in broken bones, Vitamin K2 aims the calcium onto the bones and out of the arteries. Vitamin D3 deficiency is probably to blame for some people acquiring osteoporosis or osteopenia. 

Having a diet intense in supporting new bone growth makes sense.

Things like bone broth, jelly, avocados, skin of cucumber, prunes, yoghurt and ensuring that no nutrients are lacking has to be beneficial.

For those who are not able to do a lot of exercise like me then do some like short walks, weights, squats, step ups in short bursts throughout the day. Even while seated it is possible as proven in nursing homes where people have improved their health by moving their legs and arms. Dancing would be great for those able to do so.

Empowering oneself by doing research is another way to take control.

So don't be confused or disempowered you can do this!

All the best!

• Posted

Simply not true! I have dramatically improved my t scores with a high calcium and Vit D diet plus as much walking as I can, often with the Nordic poles! The bone clinic were amazed. I have been determined not to take Alendronic acid and expected my results to be worse and a difficult conversation about AA, but they agreed with me that I can carry on for another 2 years with my regime. Then another Dexascan and see if there's more improvement. I was incredibly chuffed, soooo happy!

I am 72, have PMR and have been on steroids for 3 years which they expected to have increased my Osteoporosis. My new scores leave me down into the Osteopoenia range and the other one still in Osteoporosis but only just and much improved!

I take Calcichew D3 forte and have recently started Vit K2 as this is meant to direct the calcium to the bones rather than possibly do damage in the blood vessels.

I hope this helps! X

• Posted

Your doctor is possibly not up-to-date with the latest developments, particularly with the use of Vitamin K2-7 which in large doses (600 mcg) and some zinc, magnesium and calcium has actually cured my husband of this horrible affliction. Not only that but it also got rid of some of his wrinkles and varicose veins as well as clearing out the atheroma from his arteries..
    • Posted

...very interesting. Would you mind giving exactly what your husbands supplemental regimen with brands dosages, etc. have been and how long he's been on them? I guess I will have to look around to find out your husband's condition...I'm assuming you already mentioned that. I feel like I am in horrible shape and need to do something different. Thanks!

• Posted

My husband who is now 72 years old had Osteoporosis of hips, femur and lower spine. He was told that this was incureable and that the only treatment was alendronic acid (AA) with Calcium and Vitamin D3 (adcal). He took the AA religiously once a week for four months at which point he involuntarily did a burp a few minutes into the half-hour of standing stationary after taking the alendronic acid. This caused acid reflux and burnt his oesophagus and caused a great deal of pain. This triggered an investigation into Vitamin K2-7 which he had stumbled across during his accesses to the forums. He bought a book by a Canadian doctor and read it cover to cover before purchasing from a____n some K2-7 with a 600mcg. The claims made for this were that it not only was able to direct the calcium to the correct places, but it would also help to reduce atheroma and plaque in the arteries (another problem that he had). Additionally, there were other benefits such as a reduction in varicose veins and facial wrinkles. After taking the K2-7 for a month with no side effects and lots more reading and emails regarding this, he stopped taking the alendronic acid and continued with the K2-7 with D3, magnesium, boron, zinc and calcium and after another seven months had a dexascan which showed that his risk of fracture was now zero and the t-scores were within the normal range. He continues to take this so that there is unlikely to be a recurrence but it is two further years before he will be recalled for a further dexascan. He also believes that the K2-7 at the 600mcg level will also reduce the plaque and atheroma in his brain and there is some evidence that this may be so since his forgetfulness has reduced and recall is improving.

Just for interest, vitamin K2-7 is made from fermented soya beans and is known as natto. Before processing, this is a vile, stinking slimy mess that few other than the Japanese can stomach if you can get hold of it. It is highly concentrated in the raw form and it is claimed to be even more effective than the capsules that he takes daily..

I hope that you find this useful and that it helps with the decisions that you may have to make.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that the varicose vein on his right calf has now gone completely and the large on on his left calf is very much reduced. It's a slow business but if it works that doesn't matter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.