Confusion about HLA-B27,Gluten,Vitamin B12 deficiency

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was having chronic itchy eye and eye inflammation problem and have visited to 4 different ophthalmologists. All have same answers, like you have allergy of something which is difficult to detect, gave prescription of steroid drops which was helping temporarily only and advised to wear goggles. This problem remained around 3-4 years.

Then during net surfing I came to know that I have symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency which I have confirmed through lab test. I started taking pills and injections as advised by doctor.

The good news was that along with B12 deficiency symptoms itchy eye problem was solved.

Then I surfed on net and came to know that HLA-B27 positive people have gluten sensitivity and intake of gluten does not let intestine to absorb vitamin B12 and hence continuous intake of gluten creates vitamin B12 deficiency which lead to itchy eye problem and B12 deficiency related problems.

I again visited ophthalmologist to know about HLA-B27 but he did not agree that vitamin B12 deficiency can create eye problem.

I have celiac disease related symptom like chronic fatigue but that is also related to vitamin B12 deficiency.

I am confused what problem my body has

My mother has chronic diarrhea and headache problem since 2005 which seems celiac disease. Through net I have surfed she might be also having gluten sensitivity and we have conducted food allergy panel test for ascertaining gluten allergy but test is negative for wheat but positive for peanut and sesame.

Now I realized that wheat allergy is different from gluten allergy and have wasted money in allergy panel test.

Now i am confused about what should be forward path

Kindly read my case and help me diagnose problem

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you asked your doctor outright if it could be Coeliac disease? There is a blood test for this, which is followed by an endoscopy where they take biopsies? You need to be eating gluten daily for 6 weeks before you can have these tests. (Bear in mind that you can get ‘false negative’ results with the blood test, only the biopsies show true Coeliac disease in these cases). coeliac disease is NOT an allergy though, it’s an autoimmune disease. 

I suffer from dry dry eye syndrome and also have Coeliac disease and IBS as well as another autoimmune disease. Get it checked out if you think it could be Coeliac disease.

• Posted

Yesterday I consulted GI doctor for my mother.Her TGT IGA test result is negative.Doctor has advised for endoscopy.
    • Posted

I hope it goes well for her. If they are testing for Coeliac disease, please remember she needs to eat gluten every day for six weeks prior to the endoscopy.
    • Posted

Ya, she is not on gluten free diet.i was on gluten free diet that's why my blood test not done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.