Confusion about wound infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay here goes. I got an abrasion while playing on the court about a week ago. This abrasion is on the knee. Another abrasion on the side I got at the same time turned into a black scab and is nearly off now but this large one released a lot of yellowish foul smelling pus. It formed a blackish scab but that accidentally got ripped off. Next while I was washing it the semi formed scab accidentally just peeled off again but it looked more like a layer of pus. Since then I've been applying neosporin on it. It has stopped draining pus and formed a semi hard scab but it still is reddish yellow and almost got peeled off again today after I washed it. I don't know if it is infected and if someone could have a look that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Image: https://imgur.com/a/DlVtU

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to get it checked out by a doctor. It looks yellow inside. Take care👍

• Posted

It looks like a normal abrasion injury,which often look a bit pusy because of debris getting in the wound. Neosporin is a bit over the top and is not necessary. Washing daily with ordinary soap and water is adequate,and then if possible leave open to the air. If it is rubbing on clothing then a light dressing is OK.  

You have a pinkish area around the abrasion but that is just normal reaction to minor surface infection and is healthy. If that area turns a fiery red or spreads then you need to see a doctor. If the site starts to itch its a sign that all is healing well.

• Posted

The scab is protection for your wound.  Try not to wash the area too vigorously.  If the scab is accidentally just peelig off or accidentally getting ripped off then you are being too rough.  Be gentle and don't over use the greasy neosporin.  The scab should be dry to form that protective barrier while the abrasion heals from the inside out.  Every time that scab is "lost" there is a chance of infection......it is your wound's protection.  Protect it.  Be gentle.

• Posted

Thank you for the replies. No infection and the wound is nearly healed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.