Confusion after coma

Posted , 2 users are following.

My wife contracted pneumonia and was in a coma for 4 days. She is out of danger now (still in hospital) but has not recovered all of her mental faculties. She remembers everything and knows who everyone is, but gets confused between dreams and reality; she is also quite slow and has trouble with co-ordination.

I just wondered if these symptoms are likely to subside, or if they could remain, She is being treated with lactulose for encephalopathy, and also antibiotics.

If anyone else has experienced this, I would be very grateful for your story.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alan,

My mother in law went through the same in October last year and was the reason I started following these threads/forums.

We were very concerned as she wasn't well enough to be woken fully for 10 days.

She was confused as you describe and the dreams were really weird and some if which were concerning.

She got better every day though and the symptoms did eventually get better.

I think I read that I would take 1 week for every day she was in a coma to get back to normal cognitive state.

I practically had to force her to do an online cognitive impairment test after a few weeks, we laugh about this now, I hope you will be doing likewise soon too.

• Posted

Thanks Spewy. That's put my mind at rest. I know it's impossible to tell, but at least I now know that others have recovered from worse. Trying to get information out of the hospital doctors is almost impossible.

Thanks again

Alan.

• Posted

Hi Alan,

After reading your story, I just wanted to wish your wife a speedy recovery and return to good health. Stay strong Alan!

J

• Posted

Thanks Judith.
  • Posted

She has high ammonia and is suffering from Hepatic Encephalopathy. This is due to an underlying illness (autoimmune hepatitis) having damaged her liver. Fingers crossed they will be able to bring the levels down. Thanks again people.
  • Posted

Hi Alan,

I was googling confusion after coma and this thread came up. I am in the U.S. and my mom is going through almost exactly what you described in your wife's condition. I just wanted to see if you wouldn't mind sharing with me how she is doing now? My mom has been in the hospital or LTAC for over 50 days now. She was moved to a LTAC facility but then after a couple weeks there was rushed to the hospital last week again. She also has autoimmune hepatitis and went into the hospital with what they said was double pneumonia. After a little over a week there she was moved to the ICU because she was unresponsive. They did a lot of testing and the docs were baffled because nothing turned results until they did a spinal tap and then after a week of waiting came back that she had CMV. She was on a chemo drug for 3 weeks and was starting to show some improvement but she was still not speaking well and hardly moving. We could barely understand her and most times had no idea what she said. Long story longer she is now in the progressive care ward at the hospital here in Colorado and speaking better now but there is a lot of confusion and she talks about crazy things like her mom who passed away over 10 years ago.

It has already been a long road and we don't know what to expect going forward and I know that all cases of encephalitis are different but their medical histories are similar enough that I hoped to gain some insight from you. I pray that your wife has made a full recovery! My dad and I would appreciate any insight that you are willing to offer to us. Thank you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.