confussion

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello im not sure if this is the right place but on the 2/4/2015 i was diagnosed with stage 3 copd after breathing problems yes i smoke and in the process of quitting i have never suffered with coughs or colds so have no idea why it has hit me this way so any info will be greatly appreciated thank you and GOD BLESS

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My understanding is that at least in Australia, spirometry is the first line of diagnosis of COPD.  It's not a matter of "flunking" anything, but initially ascertaining the percentage of lung function remaining and then monitoring it now and then, which can give an indication of whether medication or exercise or anything else is maintaining the lung function level or whether it's decreasing.

I found it very encouraging when my last spirometry showed that my lung function hadn't decreased since diagnosis more than 3 years ago, because I then knew that I was doing the right things to slow down the decrease

• Posted

i had the spirometry test before they told me i had stage 3 copd  and put straight on inhalers has my lung function is 37% yes it was a shock but you get over it and do whats best for you and you alone when i was in hospital this time it hadnt changed at all but i have the best support around me which doesnt help but the good news is i have finally given up the dreaded cigs so helpfullly i might get a bit better. GOOD LUCK EVERY1  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.