Congenital hip dislocation

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everybody, i am 30 year old girl with congenital hip dislocation, and i had 3 operations when i was 2 years old. Now doctors told me that i can do the THO, but because i have no pain at all, i am not sure if the operation would be usefull for me or not?

if you were me, would you do the operation just to decrease limitation of motion, when you had no pain?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sara, 

I honestly don't know how I feel about it .... What is the advice of your doctor? can you postpone this surgery and what will be the effect on rest of body ....

having no pain, and still mobile enough ... maybe I would wait too ... 

how does your hip look on the x-ray?   

warm welcome to our hippies family ----

angel blessings and trust your heart 

renee

• Posted

Hi dear Renee

thanks for the reply and for your kind welcoming me,

our hippies family! lovely name :D

you know honey, i have visited 4 doctors, one of them suggested me to do the thr as soon as possible, the other said do it when you decide, and 2 others said wait as long as you can.....

but i think we members of the family, the hippies, can understand each other much more than the doctors, so i decided to ask you lovely friends about your opinion.....

thanks for helping me and wish you the best....

• Posted

Sounds like we had the same ops, I had CDH which wasn't diagnosed until I was 6 and had three ops. I'm 45 now and due to have a THR Wednesday. I've put it off for years but my leg difference is now really bad and I walk terribly. It's restricted me for many years but I've refused painkillers until lately and continued the gym, working long shifts on a ward and walking my dogs. It got to the point when I was physically too stiff and in too much pain to carry on. A cat scan has now revealed that there is to much damage to the back of my femur for a straightforward THR so now need a bone graft. The op will be complete and recovery long.

I wish now I hadn't put it off so long as the way I now walk has prob affected other parts of my body. My other hip looks fine so I think it's just soft tissue damage. My consultant has always supported my decision to put surgery off.

I think you shouldn't leave it too long!

• Posted

Thanks alot dear for sharing your experience with me,

i didnt understand, you had pain and you put the operation off or there was no pain when you did your daily activities?

your advise made a new question for me to ask from my doctor, if i postpone my operation, what will happen to other parts of my body?

thanks again and wish you the best recovery and getting back to your daily life as soon as possible.

• Posted

Hi I had congenital hip dislocation at birth and did not walk until I was 3 yrs old.I am now 68 and as I have got older I have developed problems with the opposite hip due to my uneven weight bearing.I had my first THR age 45 due to unbearable pain in my "good" leg.I am now 4 weeks post op after hip revision on the same hip.My dislocated hip gives me no pain at all but I have limited movement in that leg.Different consultants have advised me to leave this hip alone unless it starts to give me pain.You are very young to have hip replacement and from my experience I would carry on as you are for another few years.Hip replacements don't last forever and the revision op I have just had was a much bigger op involving bone grafts.I hope to make a full recovery but it is taking longer than the first time.Good luck whatever you decide.
    • Posted

Hi dear 

thank you so much for your reply,

do you think postponing the operation made problems for your hip?

i wish your recovery finishes very soon and you wont experience pain anymore.

• Posted

My surgeon would not operate until the pain became severe so I really had no choice but to wait
  • Posted

I would think it depends on why the doctors have said you can have the op. Perhaps you should ask some questions - what will happen if you don't have it for example? - will your condition cause problems later and make a more difficult op? Also is your lifestyle affected by how you are at the moment. Replacement hips last a lot longer now but at 30 you are still quite young and I would think would have to have it revised later in life. Having the knowledge is the key for you to make a decision.

I had congenital hip dislocation which wasn't found till I was 1 and then was in plaster for a long time rather than an operation. I started to get arthritis in my 20s. It gradually got worse and was pretty unbearable by my mid 40s and I had the op at 47. I still have the same replacement at 62 with a bit of wear to the liner but still going strong.

Everyones physical structure of the hip is different so it is difficult to advise other than getting as much information as possible first about your hip. Good luck!

• Posted

thank you very much honey for your reply, yes i agree that i should ask my doctors these questions. the answers would light my way.

wish you happy long life, and thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.