Congenital Hip Dysplasia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i was diagnosed with CHD when i was 17 after years of been told it was growing pains by my GP. I am now 35, i`ve had previous years of pills, physio, accupuncture, tens machines - all to no avail. I had a periacetabular osteotomy on my left hip when i was 27, which has`nt totally relieved the pain in that hip, but will prolong the life of it. This operation was not possible on my right hip as it was \"too far gone\" - the surgeons words! I have progressive OA in my right hip and cannot sleep on a night due to the pain which transfers into my back, the distance i can walk comfortably is becoming dramatically reduced. I am now awaiting total hip replacement, another daunting operation, but at the end of the day if it is going to improve my quality of life, i`m all for it.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed with CHD when I was 2. I lived in Northampton at the time. The doctors waited until I was 3 and operated on me. They took a bone graft from my left hip and used it on the right hip. I was restricted from doing things at school at first but because they acted so early on I had a pretty normal childhood. I foolishly thought that I was problem free until I was involved in a car accident earlier this year. Because of the impact of the accident it seems to have presented some problems again and the pain is increasing. But I do think that we should have some faith in the medical profession. If they could operate on me in the early 80's and it lasted for over 20 years, what's to say they can't make a better job of it now. I'm so sorry there are other people suffering too, but in a wierd way it is a relief to find out I am not alone. Keep your chin up everyone - things could always be worse x
  • Posted

Born in 1971 with dislocation of the hips , this wasn't picked up neither by the midwife nor by my mother who only found out much later when I was a toddler ... it was time to start walking but I kept falling and the family pushed me to walk never thinking there was a problem . One sister though who was at Nursing college in France did tell my mother that there was something wrong with me but mother ignored her ...because she was training to be a nurse she was seeing sick people everywhere!!!

I had my first osteothomie at the age of 3 I believe, was kept in casts and my dear brothers had to carry my everywhere. then I had a few more over the years.By the age of 7 or 8 I must have had 7 operations as they were not all successful if I remember correctly.

At 18 another osteothomie was performed on my left hip then another one on my right hip.And that allowed me to have a pretty normal life.

I always noticed a longer left leg but you live with that as you tend to compensate when you stand up , I was rubbish at sports at school ,never understanding why ... At 19 the right hip was done too.

I now have a 10 year old girl who was checked for the condition, i did get the burning sensation or pain when giving birth to her and i also have a little boy who is 4 now. I also felt the pain.

I am now 37 and just had a hip replacement that I had to beg for after months and months of agony .I almost couldn't walk anymore . so it had to be done although I was considered too young. I would like to have another 37 or more of some decent life. The pain has gone and I am ever so grateful to the consultant , he has given me a new life although it is not over yet as I am still recovering .

Only I just heard that I am now dislocated ... i did not feel a thing ...I always thought that would be agony but it is not at all!!!

I am walking with one elbow crutch ...a sign apparently as I should be walking by now.

Soon I will be going back for surgery , and hopefully this time will be the last time.

I am very angry about it all but there is always worse and I am very grateful it can be fixed.

• Posted

Hi I have had hip and back pain for years without any firm diagnosis. Last year the pain got much worse and following x rays and ct scans have been diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia, and OA. My left hip is the worst and am waiting to have a total hip replacement. I have a daughter who I have been advised to have review by a paediatric orthopaedic DR. I am in constant pain and am praying that she has not got it too.

I am amazed that I have been in pain for years and had x rays in the past , which never diagnosed the problem :roll:

I am looking forward to a new lease of life!!!

• Posted

I wasn't diagnosed with Congenital Hip Dislocation until I was 10 (now 33)and by that time I had to have bi-lateral osteotomies within weeks of the diagnosis.

I was 16 when I first started to get problems again with my left hip and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis which required on-going treatment.

I had a hip replacement last year (left hip) and I'm still in a lot of pain. My consultant keeps on putting off doing something about this pain and I've now asked for a second opinion but there is an 11 week waiting time :cry:

I have a 3 year old little girl who thankfully doesn't seem to have the condition but all I'm feeling at the moment is intense dissapointment. I always knew I would have to have a replacement at some time, I just thought that it would make things better not leave things the same.

xx

• Posted

Hi,

Same here!!! Im 34 and going for my replacement next wednesday (hooray!!) I was always told it was growing pains, but now I cant walk far at all..Im a dog handler and have 2 young children, so cant wait to get it all fixed, tho the op is under LOCAL so VERY scared!!!! has anyone had it done yet? x

• Posted

Hi

Good luck with your op this week!! I had mine in Feb `09 and am now back at work. It has been a success and I am now waiting to see my surgeon to discuss options for my other hip. I have some OA in other hip but not as bad as one which was replaced. However it is gioving me pain and gives way at times (not new hip!!)

Has anyone had Periacetabular Osteotomies (a hip preserving procedure)? If so what was it like?

THanks

• Posted

Hi, I know most of these messages were posted some time ago but I am having difficulty finding information. It wasn't spotted until I was five so I had about six operations. I'm now 27 and I am pregnant. I don't know if I will be able to give birth etc, or how my hips could be affected during pregnancy. Could anyone give me any advice?

Hope that you are all well after your operations.

Thanks Gemma x

• Posted

Hi Gemma

I am also pregnant with my first child, Due November. During my 20 week scan I mentioned that I was born with congenital dislocation of the hip and I am going back at 28 weeks for another scan and to see the consultant.

I too am worried about something going wrong during birth causing me problems afterwards and also the pressure of carrying the baby when I get bigger.

Luckily my problems were detected when I was 13 months and I haven't had any problems since, other than odd days of aches and pains. I just don't want to have problems now...

Have you found anything else out?

• Posted

Hi girls just replying to your questions, I was born with cdh and not diagnosed until I was 18 months then operated on. I was always told I would have problems having children too. But I went onto have 3 normal deliveries and no hip problems during or afterwards. Maybe I was juts lucky dont know but hopefully you will also have the same experience.

Its only now that I am 52 I am having pain and trouble walking, so just about to go back and see if its time tohave my hips replaced.

By the way my daughter did not have cdh either.

Hope this helps

x

• Posted

Hi my daughter was dx with Congenital Hip Dysplasia at birth but wasn't officially dx until she was a month old. At this time she was placed in the harness to treat the condition. She wore it 23 hours a day for 2 months. When she was allowed to have it removed I was told she was fine and didn't need to worry about it anymore. After reading several articles about this I find out she should have been seen by her Ortho regularly and she never seen them again after the harness was removed. She is 9 years old now and is having hip pain. I have made her an appointment with her Pediatrician but I wondering if anyone knows of this causing problems later in life in a case where it was caught immediately and was fixed by the harness. Because I can't find any info on it causing problems as early as 9 years old and in a child where it was caught early and fixed.
    • Posted

I am 36 and my left hip was dislocated at birth and dr caught it right away. I was in a brace for several weeks and then dr's said no further treatment would be nessisary. I have never had full mobility of that hip but very functional over all. In my 20's I had a good amount of lower back pain, that I assume now was a result of my hip. I recently began a pretty vigorous walking routine to lose weight etc. within a few months my hip began really hurting and eventually I couldn't walk on it at all due to sever pain. Had X-ray and MRI showing loss of cartilage and some spurring and , fluid in the joint and osteoarthritis I was put on non steroid anti inflamitory med and felt soooooo much better. Dr then Sent me for Physical Therapy which really aggravated my hip and pain became worse. I got steroid injection in my hip and felt better for two weeks but they had me resume therapy and now I am back to pretty moderate pain that is becoming increasingly unbearable as it is not going away or improving. I see my orthopedic dr next week and expect he will recommend surgery. Not sure if it would be total hip replacement or just clean up the joint?? I am too young for this stuff and wish I had seen dr sooner to prevent.

i would tell you to have your daughter follow up with the ortho drs to prevent my situation from happening to her. I wish I would have known this hip pain throughout my life should have been addressed and followed by ortho dr to protect the cartilage and slow the damag

• Posted

Hi Natalie . Hope your ok . I was born with hip Dysplasia (left hip) picked up at about 6 weeks old . Frame on for about 3/4 months . Had a child at 17 with no problems and now age 35 I'm starting to have problems . 3/4 months now with pain in groin and on outside of left hip so if I walk for to long I get pain if I sit up and lean forward I get pain and certain movements cause pain not extremely painful but. It nice . X Ray shows something going on so now awaiting MRI . Doctor has mentioned hip replacement which I'm not keen on . Maybe physio or a steroid injection are other options will no more in about 4 weeks . Slightly worried now . How are you getting on .

• Posted

I have something similar to this but i cant think of the technical term for it. But my ball and socket are fused together. I have a very limited normal life now and i am awaiting my 11th operation which will be a thr but with a twist. I find myself in constant agony everyday but its getting worse and worse. But im only 19 and its affecting my day to day life and my moods as i seem to find it harder to be happy at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.