Congenital hypothroidism and menopause

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was born with hypothyroidism and have been taking medication (Eltroxin in childhood and now Levothyroxine). i had a thyroidectomy due to  a goitre 11 years ago. Apart from that I hadn't really had any problems until now.

In the past approx 6 years, since my periods became less frequent and finally stopped in 2014, I have had tight aching calves and soles of feet. I originally attributed it to menopause and have put up with it as i can't really take HRT due to other medication. 

I saw a GP this week and suggested a connection to thyroid or Levothyroxine. The doctor was somewhat patronising. He dismissed my suggestion and told me off for reading health websites (even though I had referred to an NHS advisory page).

I'd like to hear from anyone who is similar age (52) and has had the same problem.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am 44 years old and started having a slew of problems since I had a partial thyriodectomy almost 2 1/2 years ago. The Drs always dismissed each as a separate issue but funny thing, they all started gradually after the surgery, and the more I read, and yes that does make them mad, the more I learned. One actually being continuous bleeding. Going to a vitamin store (real one with knowledgable people who care) really helped. I started taking Alfalfa which has natural plant estrogens and after reading about these new "natural" plant based hormone pellets so many women women are having I implanted right now, I'm really thing it's possible the same thing. My periods are for the most part "normal"' again.

I saw my endocrinologist today and I am also going to try Armour Thyroid because I have not been feeling well and I have a lot of muscle pain. Going to see if switching from synthroid helps with this problem.

• Posted

Hello Katejo:

My name is Shelly and I am 54, and was diagnosed when I was 27 with Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.

When I was 12,  I noticed some weird symptoms but back in the 1970's nobody tested me.

I hardly ever got my period.  I also developed little cysts all over the ovaries. So it could have been more from my Polycystic disease.

Cramps in the legs, can be a few reasons,  1) a  lack of magnesium in the diet.  Peanuts are good and have magnesium in them.  2) low potassium, it can be fixed by vitamins or eating foods with potassium.  3) Vit D.  many of us with thyroid problems have low D.  Myself included.

They can test your blood and if your level is lower than 30 you need replacement of Vit D.  The test takes about a week to do.

I take 2000IU a day. As we age we do not make Vit D from Sunlight and since you are only 2 years younger then me, I bet you have low D.

Menopause can cause problems like loss of hair, night sweats, headaches, feeling HOT a  lot.

Now one more thing can cause heel and leg pain in calves, and it is called Plantar Facisitits and it can be diagnosed by a Podiatrist (FOOT DOCTOR), and you may have it.  What it is, has to do with a long ligament in the foot and arch area, and it gets micro tears in it and you need good shoes and no high heels and shoes with arch support.  The type of pain it causes travels from the foot up to the calf.

Also some physio helps and certain stretches can help.  Massage also.

So check that out, I have it and i had my shoes changed and it goes away. Also you can take a bottle and freeze some water in it and roll it on your foot, it helps calm it down.

If you do not like that GP, can you change to another?  You need to be able to talk to your doctor.

Any questions, just ask.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Katejo11 - I have a similar story.  I was taking Levothyroxine for years with no problems but now I am 50 and moving into Menopause and last year I started having terrible pain in my feet and calves.  It felt like neuropathy, very much nerve related.  I had terrible restless leg syndrom and burning in my calves and also in my arms.  It kind of felt like my nerves were vibrating as if my cell phone was going off in my pocket.  It was worse at night.  I tried all of the supplements suggested and nothing helped.  I had nerve tests done to see if there was any damage with no results.  I finally decided to switch to Nature Throid because I was under the impression it was being caused by my body not being able to produce enough T3 brought on by menopause.  Once I switched over, my foot pain completely went away and so did a lot of my other symptoms.  I feel so much better.  As close to normal as I have felt in years. Until you find a solution, it does help to soak in Ebsom Salt in a bath.  The Magnesium in the salt absorbs into your feet a lot easier than taking Magnesium pills.  It helps with muscle twitching too.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Shannon

Where do you live? I am not sure that the thyroxine type which you mention is available in the UK

Katherine

• Posted

Hi katejo, naturethroid is available in UK but not on NHS. You will need a private prescription from a private endocrinologist. A useful website is tpauk. I tried NatureThroid and it made me swell up after just one tablet. So if you do manage to find an endo who will prescribe it, ask for a prescription for a few weeks supply (I wasted £100).
    • Posted

Swell up? Perhaps it is better not to try it then. Sounds as though it would be expensive to take continuously.
    • Posted

My experience isn't a reason not to try it - a lot of people take it without problems. I jus t wanted you to be aware of the possibility so you didn't do what I did and order 3 months supply. I have a lot of allergies and intolerances so my experience isn't what happens for most people. I am also intolerant to the fillers in the synthetic thyroxine. Liquid thyroxine also made me swell up. What suits me may not suit you and you may be fine with things I'm not (most people are).
    • Posted

I live in Seattle WA.  If Nature Throid is not available to you or it's too expensive, then you might try a different type of natural medication that you have access to.  One that includes all four T hormones.  I think that our bodies produce all of the T hormones for a reason, because we need them.  It only seems logical that if our bodies are missing certain hormones than we are going to have symptoms that are telling us something is wrong.
    • Posted

I am on my 4th day of Armour Thyroid 60 mg. I have been on Synthroid 88 mcg. I am hoping to start feeling better soon. I go back for bloodwork next month.
    • Posted

Surprisingly, the Armour Thyroid was a few dollars cheaper than the Synthroid. I was expecting it to be more. I live in Texas.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle - When I switched over to NDT I found that it was a bit stronger than the Synthroid.  I was taking 1/2 Synthroid pill 75mcg so it ended up being 37.5 mcg that I was taking.  On Nature Throid I only take 1/4 pill 65 mcg so it ends up being 16.25 mcg that I'm taking.   I know this seems a very low dose but it's what makes me feel normal which is the most important thing for me.  Just wanted to let you know that that the NDT's seem stronger in case you start feeling overmedicated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.