Congestion

Posted , 6 users are following.

my husband has very severe copd and uses a Bipap machine at night.  After a recent chest infection requiring two lots of antibiotics he has a lot of phlegm in his throat and on his lungs.  Can anyone suggest how he clears this or is it something you have to live with?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

drinking plenty water loosens phlegm also breathing exercises.has he been on a pulmonary rehab course they learn you how to breath properly and clear out your lungs.

tam

• Posted

Have you got a Breathe Easy Club near you? They are run by the British Lung Foundation. My mother attends one. There are very mild exercise classes and monthly talks - not always about health but they often are. There is a lot of help available. This might benefit your husband.
  • Posted

Hi I am the same i have been on the bipap for about 14 years now and i cant sleep without it but that is great it really helps as for the chest infection i court mine just after chrismas had 3 lots of antibiotics and is now starting to get better at long last as in the past i never get colds or infections
  • Posted

Hi Nanny10,

I'm assuming they told you low or no dairy products and then have you heard of thumping? I'm not sure what you call it but lightly thumping his chest is a great way to loosen phlegm so he can move it. Cup your hands and you can just kinda drum on his chest and definately his back. Let me know if this helps....ladyjack51

• Posted

Hello - nothing has ever been said about dairy. Does it make a difference?
    • Posted

Yes...Google it....it helps produce fluid and congestion in the lungs. Definitely research it. I love everything dairy....you just gotta set your own limits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.