Connection between Lupus and autoimmune thyroid disease?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. Looking for help. I recently saw an endocrinologist due to very high anti thyroid peroxidase antibodies. Since my thyroid labs are normal he said I will develop autoimmune thyroid disease in future but he also thinks i have lupus due to my symptoms. I was just wondering if there was a connection between having lupus and developing autoimmune thyroid disease????

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That is an interesting question Jennifer. I asked Mr Google & got a vast array of equally interesting answers. I will message you a link, then you can decide what is pertinent & what isn't.

• Posted

Thank you. I have also googled. My symptoms are similar to both conditions. I just wanted opinions from anyone experiencing anything similar.

• Posted

What are your symptoms apart from the thyroid link? I am currently looking into parathyroid problems. I see several Consultants & one of them found that my Vit D levels were too low, so I am being treated for that & my levels are now in the normal range but I have been feeling very unwell again so I have had yet more bloods done but Christmas has got in the way!

• Posted

I have been unwell since may. It started off with feeling so unwell all.the time with nausea. That lasted a couple of months. Then I had an episode of about a week when I experienced shortness of breath and discomfort in my chest. Then the different pain. It started in my shoulder. Now I get a lot of pain in my back and neck. Along with episodes of flu like symptoms where I end up in bed. Also prior to this I was very cold intolerant. Now the complete opposite. I get episodes of unbearable heat. Needing a fan on and the windows open. no matter how cold it is outside. I also have raynuads and a sun allergy.

• Posted

Are you still under the Endocrinologist? Your symptoms sound similar to mine in some respects & as I mentioned, My Derm Consultant wondered about my parathyroids, which I am currently investigating. I have found a very helpful group in the UK. I'll post the link.

• Posted

No as he said I currently my levels are fine but I will develop autoimmune thyroid disease. Although not sure when. He has referred me to a dermotologist for my skin and thinks it could be lupus so a referral to rheumatology also. I have disc degeneration in my top and bottom spine too. From what I read it's from wear and tear as you as age. I'm 36. Maybe too young to be from wear and tear?

• Posted

My parathyroid has been tested and that's normal. I'm hoping the dermatologist might have some ideas. As at the moment no one knows what's wrong with me. I know these conditions can take time to diagnose. My ANA is positive at 1.160 homogeneous. That was in May. It might have changed now as my symptoms have also changed.

• Posted

I would also look into CIRS/Biotoxin Illness. It can mimic Lupus, cause a positive ANA, cause autoimmune thyroiditis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.