Connection between PMR and hives or urticaria?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been DX'd with PMR for about 14 months now. Am currently on 3 mg of prednisone by prescription but usually take 5 mg just to get through the day. I have now contracted a terrible case of urticaria and hives all over my body and am wondering if the PMR and hives might be related. I just had a DR appointment last month but had not contracted the hives at that time.. No other changes that I can think of. When I was younger I did get hives from seasonal allergies but haven't experienced that in decades. Any thought? Thanks.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I developed urticaria in the early days of PMR - and if you have chronic urticaria (ie. it lasts more than a few weeks) it is most likely to be an autoimmune cause so that could link with PMR being due to an autoimmune disorder. Mine is mainly in response to eating wheat - and it doesn't appear immediately but about a week later so it is difficult to link. If I don't eat wheat - it almost never happens.

Pred is used to treat severe cases and mine improved dramatically at higher doses for the PMR but has returned now I am down into single figures. On the other hand, the enteric coated form of pred have coloured coatings and that can cause allergic rashes. 

• Posted

thank you Eileen, i am keeping a diary but going to cut back on sugar and wheat and yeast to see if that helps, but when i go to doctors i will ask again.
  • Posted

Hives is a listed side effect of Prednisolone.  It is one of the very rare ones, not one of the common ones.  I would talk to your medical people about it as soon as possible.

I do not know anything about urticaria.

• Posted

Lodger,

Sorry for that cofusion. I use the wordfs hives and urticaria both because some people know onw and/or the other. I do also have angioedema which is different. Those are internal and hurt rather than itch. I get those in my windpipe, lungs, soles of my feet, and the palms of my hands.

Jon

• Posted

i use uriticatia becase the doctor says this, but i know people know it as hives, just the same 
  • Posted

I had  uticaria / hives that I may have sorted by rearranging when I take my cocktail of medications for heart and chronic utis/IBS  also nettle tea and the homeopathic . My main problem appears to be oedema of the many types  especially pulmonary and lipo-lymphoedema . Only just been given dieuretics . Strange thing is is that my mother had PMR just before she developed severe multi infart dementia .Also had measles and bronchopneumonia  severely  as a child.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.