Posted , 13 users are following.
(for enlarged prostate)
Hi everyone, Many of you have good and bad experiences. And many are reading these blog sites to try to figure out the best option to address enlarged prostate. I have a fair amount of experience in the matter:
1) I went to 5 different Urologists for help
2) I tried FlowMax (I called it "FloMin"!)
3) I had Greenlight - A waste to try for larger prostates
4) I had TURP - It provided less than 12 months reprieve
5) I had HoLEP - It has worked great, though I now have retrograde ejaculation and probably lower testosterone
6) I know a fair amount about PAE (Prostate Artery Embolization) because I have many IR (Interventional Radiology) Doctor friends.
The point of this note is to help out you all realize the following:
1) PAE may be by far the best procedure for enlarged prostates. Why? Because it is non-invasive, it does not gouge out portions of your body, it probably is the best at helping you keep your testosterone/libido high, you can go back in if necessary and do it again, and if you decide later it was not as effective and you want to try TURP or something else you can.
2) You are wasting your time asking Urologists about PAE because none of them do PAE, it is a different type of procedure only done by IR's.
3) You are worth money to doctors, so expect very biased advice. They will only recommend procedures they are trained to do so they can make money off of your body. For example, I went to 4 Urologists who never once mentioned HoLEP as an option. When I found out about HoLEP through online forum sites I asked 3 of these Urologists what they thought of the procedure. All 3 said it was risky and not worth doing!! Most of them really tried to sell me on a 2nd TURP procedure. The bottom line is these doctors do not want to retool because it takes time and time is money, and there are too many of you patients out there who are not going to question the advice of your Urologist!
PAE is becoming mainstream in Europe and Australia and has started to be successful in the US. There are several very experienced IR doctors who can help you.
I suggest you all just search "PAE (and major city name)" and see what comes up. Chicago is becoming a hotbed of experience for this non-invasive procedure. Just look for "top IR doctors (and a major city)" and see what comes up. I can help you find great ones in Chicago.
I am not upset I had HoLEP because it really helped me. But I wish I knew about it early on and had tried it. I am pretty sure it would have solved my problems and helped my manly functions work optimally.
Lastly, if some of you are on anti coagulants,that may be another good reason to consider PAE, since it is non-invasive.
Remember, Urologists are not going to recommend PAE and many will not recommend HoLEP. It is up to you to do your homework!
7 likes, 24 replies