Considering canceling colonoscopy ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

24 yrs old. Been having severe stomach pains after eating almost daily for ~3 months. I tried cutting out high fiber veggies, soy, wheat, etc. and saw no difference. Abdominal cramps led to difficult to pass D, and alternating constipation (first constipation I have ever experienced in my life). History of IBS when I was younger.. but it feels different because the D always led to even a little bit of relief. Whereas now, all day there is gurgling and something just feels ‘on edge.’  There is pain and a sense of urgency but not like a diarrhea emergency, especially since most of it is taking straining to go. 

I have lost 7-8 lbs during this time. I saw a GI who did no testing and referred me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy in two weeks. I also have right flank pain which is really uncomfortable. 

Two occurences of acid reflux, frequent burping. I am debating cancelling because I have since seen a reduction in the pain. Still very constipated. Back pain. But I am thinking the pain was the inflammation I was hoping to locate and it seems to have passed? Don’t know if for good or not. 

Thanks 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi- have your colon/endo done- and speak to your professional about laxatives-and about acid reflux( I have that also)

also changing the food you eat- ! again would stress -MUST have your tests done and see what results are ?

tests are vital !

Good Luck

Susan

• Posted

Don't cancel the colonoscopy. Most people find it is relatively painless. My first one was without anaesthetic and I watched it on the screen. Mostly they seem to prefer doing it with some anaesthesia now. But the test will help diagnose your problem.

Even if it does turn out to be serious, it is far better to know. The sooner any condition is diagnosed the better.

Mike

• Posted

Don't cancel it.  Guess what I had mine done 2 days ago and I'm glad to get it out of the way.  I was definitely about to cancel it, similar to yourself - all the doubts and uncertainty etc.  But you know what, it wasn't that bad at all, and I one thing that made up my mind to go was someone else on this forum saying it wasn't bad too!!  After talking with others about it, many have said it's good to get it done even if only for peace of mind.  That's why I did it, I couldn't bear deliberating on it for the next months.  And also, I didn't even 'need' it because everything came back normal.  I hope this helps you decide smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.