Considering Gastric Sleeve

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

so I am considering a gastric sleeve operation. I am currently 177kg with severe sleep apnea

I have a private consultation next week with the Nuffield and I would love to know any experiences you have had ?

I would like to know what the process for private surgery tends to be and how long the wait is between consultation and l actual surgery ??

Thanks

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Gastric sleeve surgery is irreversible so whichever conditions arise after the procedure has taken place is something that you will have to live with. The process involves permanently removing a large part of the stomach and leaving only a small pouch.

One of the biggest mistakes a patient can make after undergoing gastric sleeve surgery is to try and eat the same quantity of food that they have been used to even after they are physically full. This procedure does not prevent the stomach from stretching and so eating too much can enlarge the new stomach, increasing calorie intake and causing the patient to add the weight that had been lost.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.