Considering SSRI anti-anxiety medication to reduce onset of symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had micro dose of steroid injections in the middle ear and use meclizine tablets to reduce frequency of vertigo episodes but they not completely effective. Before I undergo endolymphatic shunt surgical procedure, I am considering taking an anti-anxiety medication since I feel that tension seems to be part of the triggering mechanism for onsets.

Does anyone have any experience with SSRI medication for this purpose?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

stress definitely plays a role...try a water pill diuretic...before surgery i can't imagine any doctor not trying something like that....im surprised that they did the injections prior to...how many injections did you have?.......everyone is different with this crazy syndrome though so hang in there but yes stress and salt are two of the no-no's 

• Posted

Dear Gerard,

I agree with the other response...stress, salt, sugar, alcohol, and grains in general all can be triggers. I think maybe you should try other means or have a second opinion before you go through the surgery. Just a thought...Good luck and stay well

• Posted

Thanks for everyone's great feedback.

I am not taking a diuretic because my physician advised against - general low blood pressure. I am on a low-salt diet and abstain from alcohol, caffeine and chocolate.

I have suspended the steroid injections because of their limited effectiveness.

• Posted

Gerard,

I am on a daily diuretic but I take Valium as needed for the onset of an attack and it works wonders.  It inhibits the vestibular nerve & calms me down.  All symptoms seem to fade away swiftly.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.