Considering stopping eating altogether?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So it's about a week and a half until my surgery and I'm considering just not eating again until it's out? Just having water and Liquids?

Today I literally just ate plain crackerbread and drank water and apple juice and I just woke up with that grumbling pain that I know will turn into an attack.

I know I can obviously survive such a relatively short time with no food but wondering whether this has potential to make things worse in the long run? Would it affect my recovery? Or cause any particular problems with digestion at a later date?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh no!! That's what I thought about coz a lot of operated has been struggling on pain after the surgery and i know you need to heck every now and then if any bile duct prob even if your gallbladder has been removed. Im afraid if there might be prob on the other organs inside. Me, im still thinking if i will have it remove or do the cleansing. Last 2 nights been bothered so itchy hands and feet and been so worried and my health. Why should this gallbladder be a prob on a lot of people. (Sigh)
  • Posted

It depends on your body. I had attacks if i ate too little from stored body fat breaking down. Eating would be better for recovery as you will need lots of vitamins and minerals for the repair.
  • Posted

I was going to do that for my surgery but just ended up eating small healthy meals and having health shakes. I had my surgery last Thursday. I would suggest doing something simliar and making sure you dont have anything with high fat. After the surgery the pain was fine it just felt like I had done 1000 sit ups, and I was walking around straight away obviously still taking it easy. I went back to work on thursday but it was too soon as my body needs a bit more time. 
  • Posted

I don't seem to be able to eat anything without pain. Low fat, no fat or otherwise. Crackerbread was my final option for pain free food, even salad and lean meat cause me pain. And now I have had pain from that too. That's why I'm considering this. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Glad to hear that you are feeling reasonably good after your surgery though 😊

• Posted

Yep. 😔
  • Posted

It doesn't matter if you eat or don't eat you will still get pain after surgery you must remember that they are messing about inside you so everywhere will be bruised! You have to give yourself a least four weeks after the op to recover there is no fast fix! Eat little and often preferably not fatty! And don't sit about for too long but there again don't do a ten mile walk lol your body will let you know if your doing too much! Good luck and let us know how you get on xxxx
  • Posted

It's not that I think I wont have after my op if I don't eat. I know that will hurt either way. I meant I don't want any more attacks in the meantime but wondered if it would make my digestive system 'shut down' or anything.
    • Posted

Omprezole are wonderful as PPY says take those b t don't stop eating that will make the pain worse! Xxxx
  • Posted

Before my surgery I was taking omeprazol daily and this helped reduce the acid in my tummy which kept the attacks at bay. It really helped. Are you taking these? But I didn't have any stones stuck. It sounds like you may have. My mum had her GB removed a year ago and was in agony beforehand as her bile duct was blocked with stones. She had to have COMPLETELY fat free before surgery as gallbladder was so inflamed. I'm so sorry you feel rotten. I can sY that its 3 weeks since my surgery and I feel wonderful and no regrets. Good luck x
  • Posted

Good idea from people to take omprezole. My pre op nurse told me to take it a week before to give your stomach a bit if protection, she also said to drink plenty of water the day before to keep me hydrated during operation day. I think you are not expecting no pain at all from the op its the eating issues. I know you get frightened to try anything incase it sets things off. Here's a daft idea and I did do it for a few days, baby food! I did it for a few days post surgery when I didn't dare try anything else. It doesnt taste great but it didn't give any pain. It was enough to keep me going and your body processing something through your system.I don't think its a good idea to fast for more than the recommended time before op as you need your strength for the proceedure and recovery. Plus you'll have gripping windy pain , headache and be weak after a couple of days I'd think. Good luck take it a day at a time, rest and repair yourself.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I'm just totally at the end of my tether. I just don't know what to eat as crackerbread was the only thing I had left that didn't cause pain, but then I had pain last night. It actually didn't develop into a full on attack but that's possibly because i took the painkillers straight away. It still bloody hurt for a long time though. Wondering about drinking juice for energy and maybe some multivitamins plus minimal food.
  • Posted

I did manage to eat before surgery. If I had my main meal 5- 6 in evening by the time I went to bed at 10.30 I was in pain again almost every night.

What you have to watch is that you do not lose too much weight. I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago having lost a stone and a quarter since Christmas. I am now only 8 stone and need to put on atleast another half a stone.

I understand how you are feeling but you have to be fit enough for surgery.

I would try and eat something even it is only very little.

Take care

Continuing to think of you and pray for you

Lots of love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Chicken and mushroom soup pre op and post op.

Not eating will affect your energy levels and you need to be in your best health for the op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.