Consistently borderline calcium - hyperparathyroid possible?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all, good to find a forum with such a wealth of knowledge!

I’ve had 15 months of very heavy fatigue, with the consultants I’ve seen coming up blank. Came across the parathyroid com website (as I'm sure everyone else has!). I’ve had two blood tests (one in December 15, one last week). Both are showing calcium of 2.53 (10.1 using American  units of measurement) and Vitamin D of 55 (22 in the US). But PTH (measured only in last week’s test) is coming in low-normal, at 2.7 (25 in the US). Does anyone have any thoughts about whether this completely rules out HPT? The Calcium level is obviously borderline…..Any ideas would be much appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello  M6983

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse he USA. I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

First thing that I see is your Vit D is low. USA ref. range is 30 to 100.  Being at 22 would be low.  You need replacement of it. I take 2000 IU a dayas we do not make enough over age 30.

Studies have shown low Vit D causes fatigue, poor bone health and muscle pains.

Calcium should be 8.6 to 10.3 in USA ref. range and you are okay there.

Have them repeat your blood work after 3 months on Vit D and also include TSH T4 and T3 levels along with PTH and calcium and Vit D.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

thank you for the response! My doctor had put me on Vitamin D supplements back in December after the first set of bloods which showed a low level, but my Vitamin D level hasn't increased since taking them.

I'll take another dose for the next 3 months, but as my physician has said, the slightly low Vit D level is unlikely to explain the extent of the fatigue I'm suffering from. Still, we'll see what comes from it! Thanks again for you reply, very much appreciated! Marc

• Posted

Hello Marc:

Also look into Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, as it can cause great fatigue and a build up of phosphates in the blood from Fibromyalgia.  They can do a phosphate level and some other testing for this. The trick is to find a doctor who is skilled at this syndrome.

I hope this helps

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

thanks again for your advice and help! Fibromyalgia and CFS/ME have already been ruled out quite comprehensively (and my phosphate levels have always been normal). I'll see how I get on with the Vit D. Thank you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.